Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperDuperMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
Hello, kinda new to the forums, I definitely lurk a lot to read up on the new iPhones coming in a few weeks but anyhow, I'm wondering what you guys here on this forum have to say about privacy issues when it comes to doxxing?

I want to start a youtube channel/blog in where I post daily; the videos will be most likely filmed on my commute to and from work but will usually almost always be uploaded when I'm at home under my fast wifi. Same goes for wanting to start a facebook page where ill be posting and linking to this new yet to exist youtube channel, alongside instagram and even reddit.

At my college where I work I overheard a few kids talking about how easy it is to "dox" (sp?) people online nowadays and either find out where they live and/or provide that kind of location information to some bad eggs out there.

The reason I haven't started any of these social media accounts yet is because I am apprehensive since I have children (9 and 17, respectively) and would hate for some random person to all of a sudden show up on my driveway someday, or worse do one of those "swatting" situations I've only heard more and more about on the news. I really do hope I'm being paranoid and that the only way people online could know where I live is if I directly mention the city where I'm at in one of my videos. My YouTube channel and subsequent social media pages will most likely feature myself talking off the cuff about the discipline I focus on at college which is biology, but I feel even that subject can be just as touchy as political science within the current social climate within social media.

The goal is obviously to grow my youtube channel and id be using the reddit account, InstaGram, FaceBook and even this MacRumors account as tools to help encourage people to go check out my YouTube videos. Someone suggested I start a Patreon page when I create the YouTube channel, though I don't think I need to do that just yet; but the idea of being able to grow my YT channel in the coming year or two is something that is exciting to me.

Im all ears, love you guys!

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I would say go for it. Plenty of great YouTubers that I can think of have children. I don't think it's something to worry about. Swatting is really only something done to streamers because the viewers want to see the cops show up at the person's door while they're live (which is incredibly dangerous and got a man killed last year when the cops showed up at the wrong house). Sure if you were to happen to end up with a massively successful channel more of your private life would become public but I wouldn't say enough to hold you back from trying to grow a channel.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
This happened to me on my old YouTube page when I accidentally left in my Apple ID and a man kept calling me from India (sparing details). Needless to say it was unpleasant.

Popular YouTubers frequently use aliases for their channels (Mr. Beast) and then it’s up to you as to whether you want to reveal your name.

It’s on you to be vigilant wrt censoring your name and personal details. FCP makes it easy with its censor feature.

Example of name censoring (not via FCP):

Example of FCP censoring:
macOS eGPU | AMD RX 580 vs Vega 56 Benchmarks | macOS Catalina [Beta 2]

Reactions: Gutwrench

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Just do what I did and go with a pseudonym. It can be anything, like two random words that look like they should rhyme but don't. Pretty soon you'll have a small (very small) but loyal (eh) following, expecting you to pump out web-webs on the regular.

You'll slave away in front of a computer, wasting your twenties as your back aches more than somebody four times your age, but at least it makes the carpel tunnel syndrome relapses bearable by comparison.

Pretty soon, your emotional capacity will wear down, leaving you to vacillate between the two states in your stupid made up username as you wonder where all the time went.

*sigh*

Just remember to have fun! :)

SuperDuperMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
I would say go for it. Plenty of great YouTubers that I can think of have children. I don't think it's something to worry about. Swatting is really only something done to streamers because the viewers want to see the cops show up at the person's door while they're live (which is incredibly dangerous and got a man killed last year when the cops showed up at the wrong house). Sure if you were to happen to end up with a massively successful channel more of your private life would become public but I wouldn't say enough to hold you back from trying to grow a channel.

I do think in that regard I’m just being paranoid. I can’t be too careful since I have children but I can’t help but daydream in the shower sometimes that what if in a few years I have hundreds of thousands or even a million subscribers and then have to essentially be a hermit and hide out. Random I know but I do let my imagination get the best of me. And I think like this since I feel I have some controversial topics to talk about.
[doublepost=1566262617][/doublepost]
This happened to me on my old YouTube page when I accidentally left in my Apple ID and a man kept calling me from India (sparing details). Needless to say it was unpleasant.

Popular YouTubers frequently use aliases for their channels (Mr. Beast) and then it’s up to you as to whether you want to reveal your name.

It’s on you to be vigilant wrt censoring your name and personal details. FCP makes it easy with its censor feature.

Example of name censoring (not via FCP):

Example of FCP censoring:
macOS eGPU | AMD RX 580 vs Vega 56 Benchmarks | macOS Catalina [Beta 2]

Ideally I wouldn’t mind using an alias such as “SuperDuperMan” but I’m wanting to share my first videos on my personal Facebook and Instagram account in order to get friends and family to share the videos. If someone really wanted to know my name and even the city I live in it probably wouldn’t be difficult.
[doublepost=1566262669][/doublepost]
Just do what I did and go with a pseudonym. It can be anything, like two random words that look like they should rhyme but don't. Pretty soon you'll have a small (very small) but loyal (eh) following, expecting you to pump out web-webs on the regular.

You'll slave away in front of a computer, wasting your twenties as your back aches more than somebody four times your age, but at least it makes the carpel tunnel syndrome relapses bearable by comparison.

Pretty soon, your emotional capacity will wear down, leaving you to vacillate between the two states in your stupid made up username as you wonder where all the time went.

*sigh*

Just remember to have fun! :)

This is what I want. So long as it’s lucrative.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
When it comes to registering anything, you can employ a registered agent in your state of choosing. This person or firm will be the face of anything if someone goes snooping. You can also obscure your business through layers of obfuscation.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I do think in that regard I’m just being paranoid. I can’t be too careful since I have children but I can’t help but daydream in the shower sometimes that what if in a few years I have hundreds of thousands or even a million subscribers and then have to essentially be a hermit and hide out. Random I know but I do let my imagination get the best of me. And I think like this since I feel I have some controversial topics to talk about.

Ideally I wouldn’t mind using an alias such as “SuperDuperMan” but I’m wanting to share my first videos on my personal Facebook and Instagram account in order to get friends and family to share the videos. If someone really wanted to know my name and even the city I live in it probably wouldn’t be difficult.
[doublepost=1566262669][/doublepost]

This is what I want. So long as it’s lucrative.
I think what you describe it’s unlikely you’ll have millions of followers following you around! I think that is more likely if you are targeting teenagers etc. with your channel.

I think it’s pretty easy to post using an alias and don’t be too stupid with things like shooting videos outside your front door.

If it’s something you want to do go for it. But as for millions of followers, why is that important to you? I can think of more rewarding (and realistic) careers.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Truth is man, it’s far more likely you’ll just be another forgotten YouTube channel in the sea of banal rubbish already clogging it. There’s a 1% of a 1% chance that anybody can go “viral”. Honestly thinking about how you’ll cope with Internet fame is the wrong mentality; it’s like planning how you’ll spend your lottery winnings before you buy the scratch card.

Make the first step and do the channel. You’ll find that it’s infinitely more difficult to build a following than you thought and you’ll probably give up in a few months. We can’t all be as successful or handsome as AngerDanger unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.