Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
To cut a long story short, I currently own an iPhone X, with Airpods and an Apple Watch (Series 0). I am extremely tempted to switch over to Android (specifically, One Plus 6) for various reasons of which I won't bore you with now.

My issue is, with all of these current investments that have tied me into the Apple Ecosystem, it's making it extremely tough to switch. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice that you can share to help me make the leap?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
There are some threads in this section about people who made the switch and how they were able to change their set up.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
To cut a long story short, I currently own an iPhone X, with Airpods and an Apple Watch (Series 0). I am extremely tempted to switch over to Android (specifically, One Plus 6) for various reasons of which I won't bore you with now.

My issue is, with all of these current investments that have tied me into the Apple Ecosystem, it's making it extremely tough to switch. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice that you can share to help me make the leap?
I recommend keeping the X since you will have no way of knowing if the android phone will work well for your needs. additionally you could use a cheap prepaid service for the X as a backup.
You could pay as little as $10 per month on AT&T prepaid when you bring your own phone.
[doublepost=1532216975][/doublepost]The iPhone X would make a good media consumption device or video recording device even without using cellular connection. If you must throw it away you can throw it to me.

Reactions: macintoshmac

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Sell the Apple watch and sell the X. The earbuds will work with Android too so what's the investment? The watch is kinda old hat now anyway. Or do the swap the next time you're ready to upgrade your phone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you can afford an iPhone X, I’m sure you can afford to get an android phone without having to “switch” or sell anything. There are excellent $200-$300 Android phones out there.

I do say that Android Wear is nowhere near the Apple Watch in terms of user experience and direction. So if having a smart watch is a must, I would reconsider the “switching,” and simply get a mid range Android phone as a secondary phone.

Reactions: Roadstar

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It's difficult to give advice without you stating the reasons why you're considering switching.

If you just want to sample the water get a good inexpensive Moto or even Huawei device (as low as $70 for iPhone 6S Plus equivalent).

Reactions: Shanghaichica

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's difficult to give advice without you stating the reasons why you're considering switching.

If you just want to sample the water get a good inexpensive Moto or even Huawei device (as low as $70 for iPhone 6S Plus equivalent).
I don't feel that these comparisons work unless you compare flagship with flagship. Coming from an Apple product to a lower tier Android would have never cut the mustard for me. You need to hold the best Android has to offer in your hand in order to weigh up the switch.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't feel that these comparisons work unless you compare flagship with flagship. Coming from an Apple product to a lower tier Android would have never cut the mustard for me. You need to hold the best Android has to offer in your hand in order to weigh up the switch.
The first time I tried android I came from the iPhone 4 in 2012 to the low end Samsung Galaxy Y. My iPhone 4 was stolen and I only 3 months left until my next upgrade. My plan was to use the galaxy Y and then upgrade to the iPhone 4S in 3 months. Although the galaxy Y was a budget device it changed a lot of the misconceptions I had about android. In the end I paid the rest of my contract off and upgraded to the original galaxy note. So having a budget android device did not put me off android. In fact it made me get a flagship android phone and I spent 2.5 years using android as my daily driver before coming back to the iPhone.

Reactions: koigirl

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The iPhone X would make a good media consumption device or video recording device even without using cellular connection. If you must throw it away you can throw it to me.

Or to me. I will pay the international shipping costs.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The first time I tried android I came from the iPhone 4 in 2012 to the low end Samsung Galaxy Y. My iPhone 4 was stolen and I only 3 months left until my next upgrade. My plan was to use the galaxy Y and then upgrade to the iPhone 4S in 3 months. Although the galaxy Y was a budget device it changed a lot of the misconceptions I had about android. In the end I paid the rest of my contract off and upgraded to the original galaxy note. So having a budget android device did not put me off android. In fact it made me get a flagship android phone and I spent 2.5 years using android as my daily driver before coming back to the iPhone.
Most Apple users are a bit snobby though and like premium products. Even an older iPhone is a premium product and was the top of the line once upon a time. That premium feeling cannot be obtained from a $70 budget device. Sure you can roadtest the OS but you are still going to be left with that unimpressive 'budget' feeling which clouds your judgement and helps form your overall impression. The premium feel is all part and parcel of Apple ownership and needs to be recreated in any competitor's product if one is considering making the switch. You found things different but I suspect that you're in the minority.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So, if the motive is making a statement rather than asking a genuine question then it makes no sense to switch without reason.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
I can't think of a single benefit from going to an X to an One Plus 6. I can for the upcoming Note 9 or 8 but what will be the point of selling your phone, going on a new ecosystem, etc? For most of your day to day operations, the phones will be relatively the same. In fact you lose videos you bought on iTunes, and other aspects of Apple.

There is no reason to switch unless you give a very good reason.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I can't think of a single benefit from going to an X to an One Plus 6. I can for the upcoming Note 9 or 8 but what will be the point of selling your phone, going on a new ecosystem, etc? For most of your day to day operations, the phones will be relatively the same. In fact you lose videos you bought on iTunes, and other aspects of Apple.

There is no reason to switch unless you give a very good reason.
Maybe they are going to save some money by making the switch? Otherwise I’d say a flagship android phone would be a better switch. However maybe there is some feature on the one plus 6 that the poster likes, or maybe they’ve used a one plus 6 before and enjoyed it. However I think it’s up to the poster and they don’t have to justify it to us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.