Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hey everybody after many years resisting, today I wanted to give in and update from OS X mojave to big spur.
However even though I would instal on the same disk as Mojave is on, it says not formatted to APFS
How is that possible that the one operating system is working for years and now a new one wants me to format the disk to a different one??
I made a copy with CCC but that would be useless as it would put mojave back on.
I also have a complete TM backup, but would that not be the same problem??
Any work arounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
from my understanding, Big Sur needs APFS!
I dont think someone can format an external drive with Mac Journaled using Big Sur.
this made many  users upset several years ago, like me!

you can get an external ssd drive, format that to APFS then install Big Sur on that
and restart using an external drive so you have both OS, or erase-reformat then install Mojave, then BigSur
then you would have to erase and manual install Big Sur because your Mac will go to install Ventura, depending on the age of that computer.

For someone who still uses Mojave and El Cap even today, I would use Monterey or Ventura instead of Big Sur
Those later OS have better security features as well as a clean and responsive operation system and will be supportive many more years. once you need to go through some trouble and effort to use a OS from this decade.

goos luck let us know if you need further help or questions answered.

OspreyGolfer

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2023
from my understanding, Big Sur needs APFS!
I dont think someone can format an external drive with Mac Journaled using Big Sur.
this made many  users upset several years ago, like me!

you can get an external ssd drive, format that to APFS then install Big Sur on that
and restart using an external drive so you have both OS, or erase-reformat then install Mojave, then BigSur
then you would have to erase and manual install Big Sur because your Mac will go to install Ventura, depending on the age of that computer.

For someone who still uses Mojave and El Cap even today, I would use Monterey or Ventura instead of Big Sur
Those later OS have better security features as well as a clean and responsive operation system and will be supportive many more years. once you need to go through some trouble and effort to use a OS from this decade.

goos luck let us know if you need further help or questions answered.
I have tried to install Monteray on an external HD. I get most of the way and then the wall “A Critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update “
Any ideas?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
there could be many things, like USBc or USB_3 connections were USB3 wont work.
what year is the Mac are you using and is the external usb 3 or C?
also updating the firmware is very important , but you are using an external drive.

try again, I had 2010 and 2012 run Monterey and needed to re-install several times.
but dont go too crazy, I wasted so much time recently installing an OS that took several times.

I might fire up a Mac mini 2012 using Monterey
and might get Monterey on external drive for the MacBook Pro 2012 this week.

oh this is the not the proper forum, but there I nothing I can do about that,
except try to help!

Reactions: OspreyGolfer

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Apple decided to use APFS starting with Catalina so their OS will work better and safer.

First: What Mac are do we want to install BigSur on?
I ask to know if that is compatible.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Install Big Sur to a new APFS partition and use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from Mojave.

Reactions: MBAir2010

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Apple decided to use APFS starting with Catalina so their OS will work better and safer.

First: What Mac are do we want to install BigSur on?
I ask to know if that is compatible.
I have a MBP mid 2015 retina
What happened I had a 1tb ssd installed in that machine. After about a year I started to have problems with it. Did not want to start.
Eventually it packed up all together, or so we (sil is programmer) thought. We bought a new adapter just to be sure but the problem persisted.
Now I am on 4th new ssd and none s working so far, we slowly thinking that both adaptors are actually faulty
Cant get them here and need to get them from UK.
Now I have the original 125 gb ssd from apple in the MBP again.
Thats the history.
How would the normal user with the stock ssd move from mojave to the next OS??
Surely apple can't expect consumers to go thru all the steps you described and actually by a separate ssd just to be able to install a new operating system??
I also took your advice and apple "auto updates" to monterey Or it tried, same issue!

can I use the external backups TM and /or CCC to get everything as it was after formatting the internal ssd to APFS
AND HOW?????

Install Big Sur to a new APFS partition and use Migration Assistant to transfer everything from Mojave.
drive is only 125 gb and, don't I need to erase the drive in order to partition it??

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
How would the normal user with the stock ssd move from mojave to the next OS??

macOS automatically converts your drive to APFS, you shouldn't have to do anything. Could you take a screenshot or pic of where it says it can't use the disk?

Reactions: stradify

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OP: How did you get Mojave on the OEM original 125 GB SSD? I ask because when using the Apple installer to install Mojave it automatically converts the drive to APFS. Mojave was designed to work properly only on a APFS formatted drive.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
OP: How did you get Mojave on the OEM original 125 GB SSD? I ask because when using the Apple installer to install Mojave it automatically converts the drive to APFS. Mojave was designed to work properly only on a APFS formatted drive.
I have no idea? I used this drive for long as a small USB drive. Only put it back into the machine when 1tb packed up. It was formatted Mac journaled I guess while used as a USB drive

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I have no idea? I used this drive for long as a small USB drive. Only put it back into the machine when 1tb packed up. It was formatted Mac journaled I guess while used as a USB drive
I think the Apple installer expects Mojave to be APFS and not Mac Journaled (HFS+). It probably doesn't know how to proceed to upgrade from a Mojave incorrectly formatted drive to Big Sur.

As far as I know, the only way to get Mojave on a Mac Journaled drive is clone an installed Mojave to a Mac Journaled formatted drive.

My recommendation to get to APFS at this point:
1. Make a fresh CCC and Time Machine backup if not done previously.
2. Make a Big Sur USB installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
3. Boot from the Big Sur USB installer. When booted use the installer to launch Disk Utility (make Sure the View is "Show All Devices"). Select your internal drive. Erase (Format) for APFS with GUID partition map and a drive name of Macintosh HD. Quit Disk Utility when the format is completed. Launch the Big Sur installer. During the install it will offer to copy your information from a backup, connect your fresh CCC Mojave clone, and it will copy your User account information and data files. Let the installation and data transfer complete.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
I think the Apple installer expects Mojave to be APFS and not Mac Journaled (HFS+). It probably doesn't know how to proceed to upgrade from a Mojave incorrectly formatted drive to Big Sur.

As far as I know, the only way to get Mojave on a Mac Journaled drive is clone an installed Mojave to a Mac Journaled formatted drive.

My recommendation to get to APFS at this point:
1. Make a fresh CCC and Time Machine backup if not done previously.
2. Make a Big Sur USB installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
3. Boot from the Big Sur USB installer. When booted use the installer to launch Disk Utility (make Sure the View is "Show All Devices"). Select your internal drive. Erase (Format) for APFS with GUID partition map and a drive name of Macintosh HD. Quit Disk Utility when the format is completed. Launch the Big Sur installer. During the install it will offer to copy your information from a backup, connect your fresh CCC Mojave clone, and it will copy your User account information and data files. Let the installation and data transfer complete.
Thanks coastal OR you are a star!!

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.