Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Hi, I want to upgrade my home network for fibre broadband. Currently I just use 2 Eero Pro 6, but I don’t want to keep them due to things like WiFi stats being behind a paywall. They have worked fine though with what we have.
I am split between a setup off, Alta Labs new WiFi 6 access points downstairs and upstairs, Alta Labs 8 port switch and something to connect to my current Draytek modem and future ONT all downstairs, then another POE capable switch or router probably from Ubiquiti upstairs. I would then wire my Xbox and possible works PC into the upstairs switch. I will only need an access point downstairs and upstairs.

Or I just get something like upcoming Tends EE60 Pro WiFi 7 system:

And using a small switch or router if needed upstairs?
I have a decent Cat 6 solid copper cable running up the stairs for backhaul, should be good for up to 4 or 5GB. But I’ll only be getting gigabit fibre at the most.

I am split between weather all the cables, hassle and work is worth it for the enterprise stuff, with ports limited to gigabit, or a consumer mesh system with 2.5 and 10 GB ports and much easier setup.

I‘ll probably only connect my Xbox and works PC to Ethernet, everything else will be off WiFi. Only thing I’ll plug in downstairs is my security camera hub. Is it worth the hassle of installing the enterprise kit over the consumer kit?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
And using a small switch or router if needed upstairs?
Just a small note in regard to the additional wired router/access point upstairs:
Unless things have changed recently, the WiFi standard does not include/specify seamless wireless roaming but every manufacturer has to implement its own technical solution (mesh steering).
Meaning, do not merge different brands of WiFi routers/APs if you want a guaranteed uninterrupted internet/network connection when switching between them (important for WiFi calls etc.).

If some brands are now compatible with each others handoff implementation, I'll happily correct my post.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Just a small note in regard to the additional wired router/access point upstairs:
Unless things have changed recently, the WiFi standard does not include/specify seamless wireless roaming but every manufacturer has to implement its own technical solution (mesh steering).
Meaning, do not merge different brands of WiFi routers/APs if you want a guaranteed uninterrupted internet/network connection when switching between them (important for WiFi calls etc.).

If some brands are now compatible with each others handoff implementation, I'll happily correct my post.

I would be using the same access points upstairs and down. Alta LABs use their own cloud based setup and config interface, they are working on a locally run solution. But I don’t think using different routers will make much difference to handoffs etc will it?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice is:
Do the fiber upgrade FIRST with the equipment you have now.

Then, see what works and what doesn't work.

And then, act accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.