Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
The iPhone 11 has me very interested. I currently have an 8. I had been considering upgrading and with the reveal of the iPhone 11 at 699(50 bucks lower than the XR was), I think I’m ready. But I’m seeking advice as to which option I can choose. Option 1- sell and upgrade. How much can I realistically expect to get for my product red 64 gb iphone 8 that is in near perfect shape(i think theres one scuff)? I owe about 320 left on it. Option 2- Trade it in to apple and upgrade. I don’t think ill get what my phone is worth from them. I am also considering joining either the apple upgrade plan or the verizon one. I plan on upgrading now but also plan on upgrading to the rumored 5.4 inch oled in 2020. Any recommendations? One more thing, should I consider the XR. Is it that different from the 11? Thanks

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If price is a big factor for you then absolutely you should consider the XR. It’s $100 cheaper but not $100 less of a phone imo. The XR was the stand out hit in the lineup last year and the 11 builds on that but only in incremental steps. The XR is still very quick, has amazing all day battery life (better than last years XS models), an excellent camera, the same screen and overall design as the 11, and it’s reliability etc is all well proven.

The 11 adds a touch more speed on paper (which you’ll likely never notice), an ultra wide camera lens and some new camera tricks like night mode.. nice, but not necessarily $100 nice.

Last edited:

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
The iPhone 11 has me very interested. I currently have an 8. I had been considering upgrading and with the reveal of the iPhone 11 at 699(50 bucks lower than the XR was), I think I’m ready. But I’m seeking advice as to which option I can choose. Option 1- sell and upgrade. How much can I realistically expect to get for my product red 64 gb iphone 8 that is in near perfect shape(i think theres one scuff)? I owe about 320 left on it. Option 2- Trade it in to apple and upgrade. I don’t think ill get what my phone is worth from them. I am also considering joining either the apple upgrade plan or the verizon one. I plan on upgrading now but also plan on upgrading to the rumored 5.4 inch oled in 2020. Any recommendations? One more thing, should I consider the XR. Is it that different from the 11? Thanks

My thought:

Selling your phone by yourself will give you more money than Apple program but it is more efforts.

If you can afford it then go for the iPhone 11 instead of the XR as you will get the latest and the greatest of new features and technology (Chip A13, New cameras, Better Battery Life, New camera features, etc.).

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
If price is a big factor for you then absolutely you should consider the XR. It’s $100 cheaper but not $100 less of a phone imo. The XR was the stand out hit in the lineup last year and the 11 builds on that but only in incremental steps. The XR is still very quick, has amazing all day battery life (better than last years XS models), an excellent camera, the same screen and overall design as the 11, and it’s reliability etc is all well proven.

The 11 adds a touch more speed on paper (which you’ll likely never notice), an ultra wide camera lens and some new camera tricks like night mode.. nice, but not necessarily $100 nice.

IMO if you're not interested in the new camera features of the 11 you might as well stick with the 8 for one more year than get an XR

8 to 11 is much more worthwhile than 8 to XR

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
8 to 11 is much more worthwhile than 8 to XR

Lol are you kidding? 8 to XR brings the new design, faceID etc and the 8 is a legacy phone at this point. Whereas there is literally no difference between the XR and 11 apart from worse colours and an uglier camera design (PS the quality of the photos has been good enough since the iPhone 5)

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Lol are you kidding? 8 to XR brings the new design, faceID etc and the 8 is a legacy phone at this point. Whereas there is literally no difference between the XR and 11 apart from worse colours and an uglier camera design (PS the quality of the photos has been good enough since the iPhone 5)

11 has more RAM (will be supported longer) and is equal or better in every other way even if some changes are minor.

At this point I don't know why you would bother paying many hundreds of dollars for an XR yet not pay a little bit more for an 11.

The difference in price between the XR and the 11 is basically the cost of a couple of Apple phone cases. If your budget is that tight just don't bother upgrading at all and put the money towards next year.

All IMO of course.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
11 has more RAM (will be supported longer) and is equal or better in every other way even if some changes are minor.

At this point I don't know why you would bother paying many hundreds of dollars for an XR yet not pay a little bit more for an 11.

The difference in price between the XR and the 11 is basically the cost of a couple of Apple phone cases. If your budget is that tight just don't bother upgrading at all and put the money towards next year.

All IMO of course.
A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks, not a lot to everybody but still a reasonable saving to be had if the XR meets the OPs needs, and let’s face it, it does. It’s a big update on the 8 in every way, and only marginally behind the 11 in others.

The XR is not remotely short of RAM and at 3gb still has one more gb than the vast majority of iOS devices out there, it will be many years before that is any kind of issue, by which time anyone on this forum will have upgraded anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.