Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I want to put a 200GB 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar HDD in my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. I currenly have the 160GB 5400 RPM Model, however want something Bigger, as well as faster.

I know that installing my own HDD will void my warrenty, Im not really too worried about it. Are their any good guides or help out there on doing this for the SR MBP?

Thanks all. Plus, what are your expirances, if any.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
http://www.ifixit.com has all of the mac guides you will ever need for anything

and its not that hard, the most tricky part is willing up the courage to pry the keyboard tray off, then exerting the force to snap it back into place..and you will need a #0 phillips screwdriver and a #6 torx bit

other than that its pretty easy

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
I want to put a 200GB 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar HDD in my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. I currenly have the 160GB 5400 RPM Model, however want something Bigger, as well as faster.

I know that installing my own HDD will void my warrenty, Im not really too worried about it. Are their any good guides or help out there on doing this for the SR MBP?

Thanks all. Plus, what are your expirances, if any.

Buy a large capacity portable drive. Get more capacity and save yourself a big hassle and a void warranty.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Buy a large capacity portable drive. Get more capacity and save yourself a big hassle and a void warranty.

no one is really 100% sure on the warranty thing though, it might not actually void your warranty unless you break something installing it

i have three externals and i still love having the extra internal space

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I bought a 500 Gb WD My Book Pro yesterday, however, I was able to locate my drive of choice (WD scorpio 250 Gb) and would have bought it and installed it myself (greedy apple tech wants $160 to do it, another $100 to image it) and put the old one in an external to transfer, but I didn't have the right screw drivers and couldn't find any in the stores around.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
no one is really 100% sure on the warranty thing though, it might not actually void your warranty unless you break something installing it

i have three externals and i still love having the extra internal space

I can 100% guarantee you if your computer breaks and you don't have a stock hard drive in it, they will say that had something to do with it and your warranty is void. Companies try and use any excuse they possibly can to get out of providing warranty service - why give them an actual reason when external space is so cheap, and you're only gaining an extra 40GB.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
then you just save the old HD and put it back:p

but yeah to him its only 40gig, jumping up 90gig for me was a better step

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
You could take it to a certified technician (this includes most resellers that provide these services), they usually do it for like $30-50 and they won't void your warranty since they're Apple certified. Otherwise iFixIt, as posted above, has excellent guides. MacSales.com (OWC) also has video tutorials on swapping the hard drive in nearly every Mac model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.