Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squelch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
Greetings,

I've recently bought an iPhone for my birthday, (which just so happens was a few days after the price drop - hurrah!) I am a student, and was wondering how difficult it would be to make a program to turn the ringer on or off according to a schedule. I am not good at remembering to turn the ringer back on after classes, and have already missed a couple of calls because the phone was sitting on the kitchen counter vibrating instead of ringing.

Since the phone basically runs OS X, do you think there's a way to do this? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Sean
12' G4 PB, 17' G4 PB, 2 8GB iPhones and a 1G Nano
(Oh, and some PCs, but only until I buy a new Intel MBP)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
That would be awesome. Especially since profs get pissed at my university when phones are going off in class.

An app that had tabs across the top for each day of the week, and then under each tab a time field w/ a ringer on/off switch next to it and the ability to add as many times as you want! All this with a master on/off switch so that when Im home from school or on vacation I can turn them all off or on!

Almost exactly like the clock alarm function, but for ring/vibrate :)

zinj

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Pretty original idea, and an awesome one at that. This would be really great for my classes as well. My teachers are pretty anal about cell phones in class, but I miss calls if I forget to unsilence it and leave my phone on the table when I get home.

smak

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I think a few phones do this, I think the sidekick is one of them.

It automatically turns off sounds at a certain time of day, and turns them back on at another time.

Great for class schedules, or at sleep.

I think i've even seen one where you tell it to turn off each sound individually, so at night you can turn off all sounds except the ringer for emergencies.

-smak-

Squelch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
So none of the smart programmer-types know how to do this? Bummer. :( I could really use something like this.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Timers

...how difficult it would be to make a program to turn the ringer on or off according to a schedule...

This is not new, my previous PALM based SmartPhones did this, and did it pretty well. Apple should have done this from v 1.0.

It would be VERY useful, and should also have some flexibility such as:

Not only turn ringer on/off according to schedules (multiple as in weekdays, weekend, etc...) but I want to be able to also turn off just feature tones at certain times. For example I'd like to leave my ringer on at night but shut off the email tone (and then have the tone turn back on at a certain time by itself).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.