Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrapulous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
So my account expired on Dec 31. I turned off auto-renew a couple weeks ago. I bought a retail copy of Mobile Me online, and it arrived today.

I went to me.com to renew, and it said "click here to reactivate." So I did, thinking I could then put in my activation code to renew. Well, it apparently renewed via my credit card, for $99. It never asked for my activation code.

So I want to cancel that last transaction, and instead renew with the code I bought. I clicked on "cancel my account," but it said it would immediately delete my account. Does that mean I will lose everything and have to start over with a new username and everything? I didn't cancel because I'm trying to make sure I would lose everything first.

I tried "live chat" but it said they aren't available right now.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Not sure if you would lose everything, but as you see there was no need to buy a retail copy once you already had an account. You can just renew online, which you did.

Can you just return the mobile me retail version?

I would just wait and talk to Apple, I am sure they will work it out for you.

scrapulous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I got the retail version for $55 and online renewal is $99, so I was trying to save money. I would never auto renew for $99. I finally got through on live chat, but it's extremely slow.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I got the retail version for $55 and online renewal is $99, so I was trying to save money. I would never auto renew for $99. I finally got through on live chat, but it's extremely slow.

Not really familiar with MobileMe but I think the renewal fee for the RETAIL version is still $99, no? The $55 is just the cost to startup? So eventually when that expires, you would have to renew for $55 anyway. Somebody confirm? If everyone tried it your way, Apple wouldn't be charging $99 to renew online instead they would all go out and get the RETAIL version for $55 and renew that way which I don't think it's possible.

scrapulous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
You can buy a new retail copy and use that activation code to renew. They charge $99 because they can and not everyone wants to go to the trouble to try to save money. Any activation code can be used to start a new account or to renew. I have an individual account, but you can do this for a family account, too.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You can buy a new retail copy and use that activation code to renew. They charge $99 because they can and not everyone wants to go to the trouble to try to save money. Any activation code can be used to start a new account or to renew. I have an individual account, but you can do this for a family account, too.

Ahh ok. So I assume that you got everything worked out with the MobileMe rep?

scrapulous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Still waiting on a further response...but it seems like it will be fine. Just a pain. Thanks for responding. I was panicking about paying twice there for a minute!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
No don't be. In these types of situations where these small errors could occur, you're never going to be put in the position where you feel like you lose. If it was possible but couldn't reverse it, I'm almost certain that Apple would credit you the difference.

scrapulous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Morod, go to me.com/activate to renew. If you just go to me.com and click on "reactivate" that's when it will charge your credit card automatically.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Morod, go to me.com/activate to renew. If you just go to me.com and click on "reactivate" that's when it will charge your credit card automatically.

Excellent, scrapulous! I got the code and did as you said. Instant renewal without being charged by Apple. Thanks! :)

On edit: I originally went to the MM area to renew when I got my code. As I don't keep credit card info on MM, it wouldn't let me renew there; the button stayed grayed out. So then I went to me.com/activate and renewed there. Then I came here and read your reply to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.