Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCsucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
i want to get a macbook for the first time and i have a question to put all my songs on my new macbook do i just connect my ipod touch to the macbook and it will copy all of the songs from the ipod

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
there is a program called senuti. its free and will transfer your songs onto your mac. i used it when i first got my macbook and it was very easy and works just like you want it to

Chillijam

macrumors member
Sorry, but no. You'll have to copy your music manually from your old source machine. You *could* do it if your iPod is jailbroken, but since that would invalidate your warranty, and also since I don't want to get involved in encouraging you to do that, you'd have to figure it out on your own.

Re Senuti - I hadn't heard of it, so I guess it may be possible after all. :)

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N70-3 Ireland-Opera: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1724; en; U; ssr))

You can transfer any iTunes bought music from your iPod from within iTunes.

Or you could transfer all your music to the 'disk' part of your 80gb ipod (enable disk use in iTunes) and then transfer them onto your Mac.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Here's what I'm going to do.

Since my old computer was a piece of crap and had a tiny 40 gig HDD, i bought 100 gig external HD for like...60 bucks

I routed my iTunes music folder onto the external HDD so iTunes accessed all of my music through the external HDD itself. This makes it easy to transfer to a new computer. Connect the external drive to the new macbook, and then just drag the iTunes music folder from the external drive into your music folder on your mac and make sure iTunes links directly to wherever your music folder is...

Maybe it sounds more complicated than it is because of the stupid way i described it...but trust me its easy to do.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
there is a program called senuti. its free and will transfer your songs onto your mac. i used it when i first got my macbook and it was very easy and works just like you want it to

I agree with the Senuti method. It takes all your songs off your iPod and puts them nicely in folders etc. After you have it all on your new MB you can resync your iPod with your new machine, and stick them all back on your iPod again

Enjoy the new MB if you get one :D

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
i want to get a macbook for the first time and i have a question to put all my songs on my new macbook do i just connect my ipod touch to the macbook and it will copy all of the songs from the ipod

I just did this and the answer is yes and no. If you just connect your iPod iTunes will ask to copy only your purchased songs and material.

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N70-3 Ireland-Opera: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1724; en; U; ssr))

^
The thread starter could easily transfer all their music to the disk part of their 80gb ipod. They could then transfer them from the ipod onto the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.