Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Odysee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hi all. I currently use a 2016 iMac. I think it's time now I should consider upgrading.

I am wanting to upgrade to the new M3, Macbook Air. I work full time from home. My job requires the use of Chrome and all of the Microsoft Office applications, so this would be my daily driver. When I'm not working, 1 lightly edit (nothing special/major), 4K YouTube vlogs along with the occasional voice over work.

I am considering the following specs:

8-Core CPU

10-Core GPU

16GB Unified Memory (Or I may upgrade to the 24 for longevity)

For what I need, do you think this machine can handle the work I will put it through? Or would I be recommended to upgrade to the MBP?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
For what I need, do you think this machine can handle the work I will put it through?
Yes, you will have an excellent machine. You may want to consider 512GB or 1TB of storage unless your files are on an external drive (local attached or a server at your company).

Reactions: chabig

Odysee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
Yes, you will have an excellent machine. You may want to consider 512GB or 1TB of storage unless your files are on an external drive (local attached or a server at your company).
Thanks! Yeah storage isn’t really a problem. Files are stored offline and I don’t install much software.

Wow yeah look at that! Question is, would you recommend 24gb memory? I guess my future self would thank me later! :p:apple:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks! Yeah storage isn’t really a problem. Files are stored offline and I don’t install much software.

Wow yeah look at that! Question is, would you recommend 24gb memory? I guess my future self would thank me later! :p:apple:
Chrome is not even slightly memory efficient, so if that is the browser you're going to use, more RAM is better than less. 16 is likely plenty enough, but if your budget stretches further, max it out.

The M3 MBA is a remarkably capable system. You don't say which screen size you're looking at, but even a 15-inch will be a lot less real estate to look at than your iMac. You may want to consider adding an external display to give you more workspace, or even two!

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
You DEFINETELY need 16gb ram. 24 would be good if you are using chrome. I would also consider going 512ssd as office on Mac OS and chrome will do a lot of swapping. Apple has non cto configurations of 16gb/512 ssd. That would be the one to look at. You will miss the real estate of the iMac screen, so an external monitor would be an excellent choice.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
If this will be your main machine and daily driver absolutely get the 8CPU/10GPU/16GB/512GB+ . I made the mistake of getting a base model MBA m2. And I've traded in for M3 MBA. Much happier. The base model with 8GB ram I was always hitting the memory pressure with Brave Browser(Chromium based) and couple other apps open. Nothing heavy. So yeah what you listed should be good for your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.