Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Haven't seen any threads around here about this fantastic beta (probably not enough PS3 users around here), I just got access to it a short time ago so I have been playing it like nuts.

Overall it's really really fun. Big online battles are sweet and the maps are really huge.

+ Air flight feels good, but after a big learning curve. I still get blown up a lot but that will change with more practice I suppose. The motion sensing control scheme works well and it a lot of fun but is that much harder to get good with. Missle lock on works well blowin the crap outta stuff

+ Ground combat is really fun. Standard weapons (pistol, machine gun, rocket lanucher, flame thrower, etc.) but they all work well. Rocket Launcher has a good lock-on feature for taking out planes and tanks. Knife is cool for melee kills and you don't show up on the radar with the knife equipped. Sniper Rifle zoom has a really cool effect, looks like you are looking through a curved lens.

+ Tanks/jeeps are okay. Pretty quick and running over guys is awesome. Big explosions with the tank artillery. Seamless jumping on when one drives by to get around faster.

+ Quick fast action. Respawn is fast and you can pick any location that your team currently controls (there are zones that you can take over). Seamless switching between tanks, ground and planes make it easy to keep going and the flow of the game is uninterruppted.

+ Big big big battlefields with lots of area to fly around in or drive across. Little bases scattered across the maps for anti-tank guns/ anti-plane artillery. Fantastic draw distance. Good graphics with great looking details (ruined buildings, water effect, etc)

- Character animations look just weird to me.

- Weapon switching is used by the d-pad. I find it a little hard to select the weapon I want, especially in the plane where I need to switch from chaff grenade to missles really quickly but I get hung up with switching them sometimes.

- Friendly kills seems to always be on, which sucks. I have been runover by my own team too many damn times and stupid people throwing grenades all over the place is annoying as hell.

- Matches seem really short (sometimes under 5 minutes) and take about 2 minutes to resume. This may just be for the beta (?)

- Aiming with the ground unit feels a little off. It kind of locks on if you are close which is nice but still feels a little weird. I gotta play with the settings more.

This is gonna be a really big hit when it releases. It has a bit of a learning curve and would have benefitted from an offline tutorial but as it stands the game is very fun to play. Sadly, like all other PS games, it lacks a lot of voice chat (I don't even have a headset yet) which would be nice for communicating rushes and the like. The retail version of the game comes with a headset so i will probably get that version.

:D

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yeah I've noticed you all yesturday playing it....I can't wait for this game..AA title.

I would of thought the "on feet" and the "tank mode" would of been crappy but from what I'm hearing they are just as good and sometimes better than the warhawk itself.....The map designs look really nice too.

Whats the standard multiplayer games do they have?

Bless

RichMacca

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
WarHawk i absolutely love, got it through proxy download and it works seamlessly. OP made some great points, particularly about team kills and selecting weapons.

When flying in particularly selecting weapons is very awkward, particularly when switching quickly between missiles and chaffs.

Different servers have different time limits and the maps, when you highlight the server you want it says the time limit, there a few with short 5 mins time limits, but most have 20-25mins limits.

Different match types are DM, TDM, capture the flag, zones there could be another but i cant remember.

negatives about the game would be choosing the weapons, the learning curve which is a big put off when you go in a server and get shoot 10 times before even learning how to use warhawk boost.
Very definitively worth playing, because its very addictive and remarkably fun

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
This should be a candidate for multiplayer game of the year(even with a late release)
I was tempted to d/l it via the "proxy" way, but am patient enough to wait for the final product.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
I'm going to buy the blu-ray disk of this game...just to get the headset...although I already have one.

I can't wait for this game. I'm hoping warhawk's capture the flag is better than R:fom CTF....I can't stand that.

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
negatives about the game would be choosing the weapons, the learning curve which is a big put off when you go in a server and get shoot 10 times before even learning how to use warhawk boost.

........warhawk boost? :confused: Never found that out yet... shows how much I use them :p

edit: oh god, I never knew it had 'flying mode' and 'hover mode'!!! I was using hover mode all the time!! :eek:

I take back my comment about awkward animations. The running looks a little silly but there are a lot of really good ones. When I was close to a little crate like object and shooting my gun, the character put one leg on the crate as if to get a steadier shot. Also, when running sideways firing, the character kind of scoots instead of all out runs, it looks a lot better than how it does in Lost Planet.

I really really wish this game had C4. You can blow up SAM turrets with about 5-6 grenades but being able to plant a C4 charge then run would be awesome.

Oh, and 2ny, the capture the flag is a lot better than Resistance :) It's hard as hell but really fun since the battlefields are so huge.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Question for people with the beta: what the limit of players in a game?

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I'm not in the beta, but I do know that it currently supports 32 player max. ;)

On the 'official beta test forum' someone said that on a custom server you can have 32 vs 32, so 64 total. That number seems a little high and I have yet to see a game with more than 32 so maybe he was lying (on the beta test forum none the less)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
64 people would be crazy....I'm hoping the maps are big enough to handle that. When there are a lot of people in multiplayer in R:fom everyone seems to spawn in the same area and it becomes a blood bath in a couple of seconds...I hope they work out a lot of spawn points so that won't happen.

I also hope the maps can be sized down when there are less than 16 players.

Side note: Anybody played the darkness yet...I might pick it up for the PS3

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
64 people would be crazy....I'm hoping the maps are big enough to handle that. When there are a lot of people in multiplayer in R:fom everyone seems to spawn in the same area and it becomes a blood bath in a couple of seconds...I hope they work out a lot of spawn points so that won't happen.

I also hope the maps can be sized down when there are less than 16 players.

Lots of spawn points and you pick where you wanna spawn and since everyone is on radar you can pick a spot away from the action if you wish. And Maps DO scale down, often depending on what vehicles and such are in the map, so soldier vs soldier maps are really small but instense.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Side note: Anybody played the darkness yet...I might pick it up for the PS3

It got an 8.5 on GameSpot.....onyl game to achieve a higher score(for PS3) is Oblivion.
They say multiplayer is kind of meh, but the story for single player is excellent from begining to end. I am debating on picking this one up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.