Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I my network was just hacked today. They really didn't do anything other then change my basestation password and log me out. It could of been a lot worse. So I hard restarted it and made a new network, but this time I made it a close network. My password was 128 too!!!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
So how do you know it was hacked? I'm not calling you a liar or anything... I'm just curious... I'm theoretically getting wireless here next week and I don't know squat about it...

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Well, my internet just stopped. Then I picked my network and it said something like "Your bocked from this nextwork" and that also what the apple people said. I had no way of getting into unless I resetted it.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
well with a password like 128, what did you expect?

:)

just kidding, for those of you with no sense of humor...

anyhew, sometimes password encryption isn't enough to protect a network, which is why they include other handy tools, like mac address filtering...

anyhew, i wouldn't put the fault on your base station... the tools are there to make it more secure...

matt

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
WEP isn't perfect

Sounds like someone didn't just war-drive you (drove or walked by) but actually sat down and worked on your network. You must have WEP and you might want to consider enabling RADIUS which effectively hides you network so unless they know its there by knowing its name and the password they can't access it.
Futhermore, make sure your password is not a dictionary word or something easily found using a brute-force attack. Try a phrase or a password that has numbers, characters, and words.

Also, your admin password should follow these standards, but be more easily remembered.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
Originally posted by mkaake
well with a password like 128, what did you expect?

:)

just kidding, for those of you with no sense of humor...

anyhew, sometimes password encryption isn't enough to protect a network, which is why they include other handy tools, like mac address filtering...

anyhew, i wouldn't put the fault on your base station... the tools are there to make it more secure...

matt

How do you mac address filtering?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you didnt get hacked. the ae basestations have some problems. mine did that all the time but firmware has fixed it over time.

iJon

Versello

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
Re: WEP isn't perfect

Originally posted by hulugu
Sounds like someone didn't just war-drive you (drove or walked by) but actually sat down and worked on your network. You must have WEP and you might want to consider enabling RADIUS which effectively hides you network so unless they know its there by knowing its name and the password they can't access it.
Futhermore, make sure your password is not a dictionary word or something easily found using a brute-force attack. Try a phrase or a password that has numbers, characters, and words.

Also, your admin password should follow these standards, but be more easily remembered.

He could just disable SSID broadcast. RADIUS is for corporate wireless networks that have a need for centralized authentication.

The best thing to do would be to use WPA encryption instead of WEP. It's been said 128-bit WEP can be broken in like, 15 minutes if I'm not mistaken... but certainly in under a day. WPA is much more secure in that keys are renewed after X amount of time, thus always changing.

I use WPA on both my powerbook and Dell notebook with a Linksys 802.11g router.

edit: MAC filtering also isn't a 100% fullproof solution. Sure it'll stem the 'casual' war-driver, but if they're really determined they can spoof your MAC...

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
As well all know, the best protection is to not allow physical access to the network, so, why not turn down the transmitting power of the basestation?

Also, do as the above posted said. Move to WPA and apply a very difficult password. Letters, numbers and random characters do help a lot. Dictionary attacks, which are the most common type of script kiddy attack, are quickly neutralized then.

Of course, it could be the firmware going ape, so maybe you should make sure your firmware is up to date.

Mat

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Re: Re: WEP isn't perfect

Originally posted by Versello
He could just disable SSID broadcast. RADIUS is for corporate wireless networks that have a need for centralized authentication.

The best thing to do would be to use WPA encryption instead of WEP. It's been said 128-bit WEP can be broken in like, 15 minutes if I'm not mistaken... but certainly in under a day. WPA is much more secure in that keys are renewed after X amount of time, thus always changing.

I use WPA on both my powerbook and Dell notebook with a Linksys 802.11g router.

edit: MAC filtering also isn't a 100% fullproof solution. Sure it'll stem the 'casual' war-driver, but if they're really determined they can spoof your MAC...

I guess it like cars, you can do everything to secure it: alarm, club, keys, ignition lock, and yet cars still get stolen.
You can do everything you can, WEP, WPA, MAC filtering, etc. and someone can still hack your network. You're right, WPA is much more secure, and futhermore you are also right about RADIUS.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
Originally posted by iJon
you didnt get hacked. the ae basestations have some problems. mine did that all the time but firmware has fixed it over time.

iJon
yep, me too. gave me a scare the first time.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

Happened to me as well. No worries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.