Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Apple IDs were not set up for A, for B, for C, for E etc. Yet, customer uses it that way. As a developer, what’s the reaction? Apply draconian restrictions so anything but A would be impossible, or work around it and improve?
If I buy a wrench and use it as a hammer, and it doesn’t work as a hammer, whose fault is it? The manufacturer of the wrench or me?
And for setting up backup ways? Most backup ways involve Apple Server, such as this one demonstrate in this article. Users cannot do anything about it except dismissing the prompts vigilantly. What’s your suggestion then?
You can use a Yubikey, and get 2 of them. This way you don’t have to worry if your loose your 1 device. Others here have said this too.

As for the issue in the article, as of now, we have to select Don’t allow. Me, no one knows my Apple ID email. I actually doubt it does any protection, but I’ll try anything to protect my account.
Recovery contact? I am fairly confident it has iOS version restrictions. What about those people who uses devices that won’t support recovery contact But support 2FA? Also, just because your 70 year old mom can use 2FA, doesn’t automatically mean everyone else can. For the record, I don’t have problem using 2FA, but that doesn’t prevent me from raising the concern About it.
How does ot have restrictions? Your phone number is used as a backup (I personally don’t like and I wish I could turn that off). Just because you lose your phone or it breaks, your phone number will work on a replacement.
Or again get a Yubikey.
People seem to have a problem for every solution.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Wow I imagine this chain of attack would be quite successful on a lot of people. Just needing the email and phone number is a huge vulnerability.
All you need is a phone number, I wish it was both. I tried it with just my phone number and I was able to go through.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
this week i've had a spate of calls from the "Chinese Embassy" and then a whole fast lot of Chinese language followed by "Press 1 for the english version" in Siri's voice.

Anyone else having these and know what they are trying to achieve?

Obviously I'm not pressing 1 to find out. ;)

Reactions: Robert.Walter

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Believe it or not, we can all refuse to accept many things, that are in fact exist, such as 2 person sharing the same Apple ID. To be fair, I am not 100% sure if they are indeed doing so, but judging by the claim that her wife travelling to China would paralyse 2FA that’s the Most probable cause.

And before you suggesting “security keys”, ”recovery contact”, I want to remind you both of those are barred behind a particular iOS version update, which they may or may not be able to install and use without replacing their devices, which they may not be able to or Unwilling to. Apple didn’t release 2FA back then with the support of hardware keys and/or recovery contacts either, meaning those people who are now stuck using outdated software risk their account being locked out because of insufficient 2FA recovery options.

Besides all that, mere participation in the MacRumors forums have no bearing on member‘s tech literacy whatsoever.

I am not saying 2FA is bad. I am saying I understand the concern he has because I was in the same boat several years ago, refusing to use 2FA.

Then they can print out a recovery key and keep it in their wallet. No printer? Use a pen. There’s truly no excuse.

henkie

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2023
And the DOJ and EU keep tearing down the Apple ecosystem. What insanity
lol. I thought this walled garden was actually keeping you safe? Apparently, once the hyena makes it within the walled garden it maximizes damage. Seems like a nasty exploit and one that Apple could have prevented (how is it possible you can send so many reset notifications! Instead of emojiing the sh*t out of everything.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
lol. I thought this walled garden was actually keeping you safe? Apparently, once the hyena makes it within the walled garden it maximizes damage. Seems like a nasty exploit and one that Apple could have prevented (how is it possible you can send so many reset notifications! Instead of emojiing the sh*t out of everything.
it's a phishing attack... that doesnt matter if the garden is walled or not.
they have your data and make a pest of themselves using it.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
i'm starting to feel like all this technology was a mistake. i'm just so tired of dealing with this endless garbage.

Reactions: jennyp

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
i'm starting to feel like all this technology was a mistake. i'm just so tired of dealing with this endless garbage.
When I had Windows machines it was endless games of virus attacks and bad user behaviour.
or just plain old Windows issues.

Mac was a breathe of fresh air and the hardware lasted longer.

iOS was a whole new level of "it just works" with tighter comtrols desktops could never impose after the horse had bolted. But many want iOS opened up. Some of us think that's dangerous and we could now have phones with issues other platforms have.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Is Apple going to release a patch/update for this?

Not sure it can be solved with an update on the phone, might be that an update is needed on Apples side or maybe both.
I wish Apple would make it so for the people that use a Yubikey, a password cannot be changed or reset without the physical key.

I know some people wouldn’t like that, but it would fix this issue.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I wish Apple would make it so for the people that use a Yubikey, a password cannot be changed or reset without the physical key.

I know some people wouldn’t like that, but it would fix this issue.
I'm a big fan of the Yubikeys myself but at the same time its the hassle of having to have the key with you. When you need it its somewhere else.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I'm a big fan of the Yubikeys myself but at the same time its the hassle of having to have the key with you. When you need it its somewhere else.
I have one on me at all times, and my wife and kids do too. We all have each other’s accounts on all the keys as well. We have 1 spare at home and 1 spare at my parents house. I’m not taking any chances.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I wonder if it is something that can be fixed or limited on Apple's side. Sounds like it. They should do it TODAY.

Rate limiting and other protection methods should have already been in place.

And to truly fix this, we need to well and truly kill all modal dialogs. Every modal dialog is pure evil, there is not a non-evil use for one. Go ahead, try to name one. Every single one you've ever seen wanted to force you to do something you don't want to do.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Perhaps the EU could look into the requirement to have a centralised account with a tech monolith to even use these devices. There should be a device-level account that allows me to download free apps from the app store without needing an AppleID.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Spammers know that, sure. It’s still a valuable form of mitigation against phishing. Use a unique email address and a unique, strong password for every account that you can, preferably with multi-factor authentication.

It's starting to become clear to everyone just how much of a mess the internet really is. This is the best advice currently available (aside from maybe removing all usernames and passwords and using only passkeys and hardware tokens) but it's basically impossible for anyone without actual technical education.

To their credit Apple is trying with Hide my Email and a built-in password manager (sort of) and passkey support. But most users only have a vague, dim idea of what an account even is and what account they're actually logging into. They just put in the same email address and password everywhere and it always works! Until "my Facebook got hacked."

I swear I had a point when I started this rant. Something something user education.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.