Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Hi, I read online that it's best to charge your MacBook by the 20-80 rule (plug it when it reaches 20% and unplug it when it reaches 80%).

Any app that could notify me when that happens?

Mind you, I only need an app that notifies me when that happens. I do not wish to install an app that modifies and regulates my battery and/or settings as it sees fit, in order "to maximize battery life".

Just some way (script / third-party app) that I'm notified when battery is below/after 20/80% (e.g., a banner or alarm in the Notification Center)

Thank you. :)

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
I don’t know if there is a way to do that, but the 80-20 thing to which you refer is a myth. See https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

I see. That's interesting, thanks for letting me know.

However, I could still use the aforementioned script / 3rd party app I'm looking for, in order to not leave it charging past, like ~85-90%, since my battery isn't exactly new and already has several cycles, and therefore I'm sure its capacity isn't more than ~85-90%.

See the thing is, I often forget it plugged in, only to notice after a couple of hours it's still struggling to charge past ~90-99%.

So, yeah, I guess I could still use a notification like that to let me know.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The thing is, modern technology is smart. You’re not just plugging power straight into the battery. There is power management built in. Think of it as an entirely separate computer managing all aspects of battery use and charging. It knows how to best manage the battery much better than you. When the AC adapter is connected, it controls the current provided to the cells. There is nothing you can do to improve upon that, nor can you damage your battery by leaving the charger connected.

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
iStat Menus can do custom warning for you. It's also useful for other things
[doublepost=1547646025][/doublepost]
I see. That's interesting, thanks for letting me know.

However, I could still use the aforementioned script / 3rd party app I'm looking for, in order to not leave it charging past, like ~85-90%, since my battery isn't exactly new and already has several cycles, and therefore I'm sure its capacity isn't more than ~85-90%.

See the thing is, I often forget it plugged in, only to notice after a couple of hours it's still struggling to charge past ~90-99%.

So, yeah, I guess I could still use a notification like that to let me know.
Battery recalibrates itself when you depleted it/recharge it fully (complete a cycle)
so the old 90% become new 100%.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
The thing is, modern technology is smart. You’re not just plugging power straight into the battery. There is power management built in. Think of it as an entirely separate computer managing all aspects of battery use and charging. It knows how to best manage the battery much better than you. When the AC adapter is connected, it controls the current provided to the cells. There is nothing you can do to improve upon that, nor can you damage your battery by leaving the charger connected.

Got it. What about drawing current and its effect on electricity bills? Like, when I've left my MacBook Pro charging, and its stuck struggling in the ~90-99% phase for a couple of hours. During that ~90-99% phase (before actually hitting 100%, turning the light from orange to green), is it not drawing electric current from the wall?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Got it. What about drawing current and its effect on electricity bills? Like, when I've left my MacBook Pro charging, and its stuck struggling in the ~90-99% phase for a couple of hours. During that ~90-99% phase (before actually hitting 100%, turning the light from orange to green), is it not drawing electric current from the wall?
Once the battery is full, it stops charging and uses very little power.

Here is some data from Apple.

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 9.29.12 AM.png

Reactions: qqurioustiger8945

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA

The battery doesn’t “struggle” to charge from ~95 to 100. What you’re seeing is the power management software/hardware protecting your battery. Essentially once your battery hits about ~95 it stops charging and will actually let the battery discharge a few percentage points before recharging it back up. This is done to keep the electrons moving in your battery. Not keeping the electrons moving will actually cause battery damage.

On my 2016 MBP I have noticed that when my battery is at 100 and plugged in I will actually see the battery drop to about 98, Over several hours, even while remaining plugged in.

As others have said, technology has improved and apple has built in all the safeguards that are needed to keep your battery operating correctly. So stop worrying about how long it’s plugged in or not plugged in and just use the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.