Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I guess not everyone is as privileged as you and some people has had to live check to check, and the time needed for a check is the difference between buying food or going hungry.

If you're living check to check, you shouldn't put the money you need to live on in a savings account.

Reactions: Eric Idle

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Kinda sorta on topic...but different.

I recently remote deposited a personal check for $26,360 into my CHECKING account. USAA made $10K "immediately available", with the rest of the funds "on hold" for 7 days. That kind of thing is fairly standard.

Reactions: newyorksole

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I know I've said this before, but here it is again in this thread: If you're trying to withdraw money from a Savings account on even a remotely regular basis, you're "doing savings wrong."
One size fits all advice is silly. I withdraw from my savings account regularly (once a month). Better to leave money sitting in a HYSA where it makes interest than a checking account.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Just wanted to pass this information along to people here - I was hoping to take advantage of the very high interest rate for their Savings account, but you are unable to withdraw your money that you deposit for "up to 5 days"

I deposited $50 to test out the new feature 3 days ago and I still can't withdraw any of it.. it's like sitting in limbo. I see it as in the account, but when going to Withdraw, it wont let me touch it.

So heads up if you need to do a lot of quick turn around transactions of any kind. Pretty disappointing

View attachment 2191329
It's not in limbo. If you go to account details, you will see there are two separate lines, one is for "Current Balance" and another is for "Available Balance".

Maybe you have a different idea of what a Savings Account is supposed to do. It's not an account for frequent transactional uses, hence the word "Savings".

Reactions: monstermash

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
If they are competing against brick and mortar banks then why have a worse cash availability policy? If I deposit money into my regular savings account, especially if I am at my bank, the cash is immediately available. Or if I scan a check and deposit it, its typically there in seconds.. 15 mins at most.

Why defend something that is flatly worse, just because its Apple? Don't get me wrong, I have a ****-ton invested into the Apple ecosystem with my family of 4, but when a product or service has negatives, I don't paper over them or excuse them.

Anyway just hoping this helps inform someone.
I have never experienced a bank account in which you do a mobile deposit and the money is available almost instantaneously for withdrawal.

Typically it takes several days for the cheque to clear and then it can be withdrawn.

I think it was pretty clear that after using an external account to add money to the Apple Savings, details in the transaction actually indicate clearing the transaction could take up to 5 days. It's right there if you click into the transaction details.

About the only time I have actually experienced instantaneous deposit availability is transferring from one account to another within the same bank. For example, I have checking and savings with ABC Bank. If I move money to/from checking to/from savings in ABC , the money is available immediately. That's to be expected though. The money is simply moving between accounts WITHIN the same bank.

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyC28

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
One size fits all advice is silly. I withdraw from my savings account regularly (once a month). Better to leave money sitting in a HYSA where it makes interest than a checking account.

Worth mentioning that until recently, savings withdraw frequency was limited. That rule is suspended, but if it goes back into effect, one will need to be in compliance or else....

The fact that such withdraws are limited under that rule speaks volumes about what banking authorities "intend" savings accounts to be used for.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I have never experienced a bank account in which you do a mobile deposit and the money is available almost instantaneously for withdrawal.

Typically it takes several days for the cheque to clear and then it can be withdrawn.

I think it was pretty clear that after using an external account to add money to the Apple Savings, details in the transaction actually indicate clearing the transaction could take up to 5 days. It's right there if you click into the transaction details.

About the only time I have actually experienced instantaneous deposit availability is transferring from one account to another within the same bank. For example, I have checking and savings with Discover Bank. If I move money to/from checking to/from savings in Discover, the money is available immediately. That's to be expected though. The money is simply moving between accounts WITHIN the same bank.

You need a better bank.

It's the norm at USAA. Usually all of the money is available instantly, whether you remote deposit a check or transfer money from another bank via ACH when initiating that from USAA.

Recently I remote deposited a check for $26,360. Of that amount, $10K was available for withdraw or transfer elsewhere immediately. The remainder was available a week later.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
When you press the three dots on the top of your savings screen and select account details you should see both your current balance and your available balance. As others have said current balance isn't necessarily reflective of what's available. Remember, ACH stands for "Automated Clearing House" and getting through the process takes anywhere between 1-5 business days. That said, speeds vary wildly between institutions based on a variety of factors and, anecdotally, I made two deposits (pushed from my external accounts) yesterday afternoon both of which cleared this morning. All the funds seem to be available to me, I'd be curious to hear if the numbers in your "available balance" and your "current balance" match.
Yup! For my husband who also has Apple Savings as do I, his cleared within 3 days. Mine cleared in 5. It's all within the realm of reasonable.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Maybe I don't fully understand the issue. You transferred $50...your balance is now $50...and then you tried to withdraw some of it right away. Of course that's usually not going to work. Just because it was credited right away, it doesn't necessarily mean it's available for use. Many banks have a deposit hold.

Agreed! Plus, if money were to be available immediately that way, I can imagine how much fraud would be occurring! The bank has to go through some process to verify that the money actually does exist and is transferred to itself before releasing.

Reactions: compwiz1202

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
You need a better bank.

It's the norm at USAA. Usually all of the money is available instantly, whether you remote deposit a check or transfer money from another bank via ACH when initiating that from USAA.

Recently I remote deposited a check for $26,360. Of that amount, $10K was available for withdraw or transfer elsewhere immediately. The remainder was available a week later.

Interesting experience with USAA. I don't dispute your experience. I would also say that it is also not out of the ordinary to have to wait for 1 to 5 days for external deposits to clear. It's all within the realm of reasonable.

And that said, it looks like for Apple Savings it may not even 1 to 5 business days. It's just 1 to 5 DAYS, in my experience. For example, I made a deposit and while it wasn't available on Friday, it was available on the Saturday! I was surprised. I thought I'd had to wait until at least Monday.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Worth mentioning that until recently, savings withdraw frequency was limited. That rule is suspended, but if it goes back into effect, one will need to be in compliance or else....

The fact that such withdraws are limited under that rule speaks volumes about what banking authorities "intend" savings accounts to be used for.
Sure, but even that rule was six per month. I use one. I'm not saying you should use it for every transaction. I'm just saying the regular withdrawals from savings can be part of a healthy financial strategy.

Reactions: compwiz1202

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Transferring money from my Chase savings account to my Chase checking account, and vice versa, leaves that money instantly available. Very convenient. Also, Chase gives me 0.01% interest on that money. Apple’s interest is a tad higher, so take the good with the bad. Also, you are earning interest right away.

Now what I may be interested in is parking money in my Apple savings account and withdraw it monthly to pay my Apple credit card balance. I use my Apple Card to pay for nearly everything so I could leave money in savings, take the interest, then withdraw what I need to pay my card balance.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
It's incredible how misguided some people's priorities are in this thread. Truly laughable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.