Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
The Pencil comes with a spare tip. Instructions state:

Keep the tip of the Apple Pencil clean, as dirt and other small particles may cause excessive wear to the tip or damage the screen of the iPad Pro.

With use, the tip of Apple Pencil will wear down, and you'll need to replace it to avoid damaging the iPad Pro screen.

I called Apple to ask how the wear is determined. He said just eyeball it and look for a sharp tip or any rough spot. Makes me want to consider a screen protector but it's not clear how that would impact all the research Apple did to ensure the Pencil and iPad Pro work together. Hopefully in coming weeks there will be feedback on that.

He also said Apple will start selling replacement tips for the Pencil, probably within the next couple of months.

Also interesting that there is no cap to protect the tip when not using the Pencil. I ordered a couple of cases from Amazon: Case Star Black Color Hard Shell Protective EVA Carrying Case and LIHIT Lab Pen Case.

Reactions: 5105973

Adamj53

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2014
Interesting.

I noticed the screens on the display Pro's in my local Apple store were looking a little scratched like from the pencil.

Reactions: 5105973

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
After reading reviews and comments on other threads I decided to get the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass. It works fine with the Pencil. There are less expensive alternatives, especially matte protectors, but for art work I did not want to sacrifice any clarity. Unless you look at the edges from the side, there is no way to tell the protector is on. Of the two cases I mentioned in the OP, both work but the Case Star is less bulky. Elastic bands hold the stylus in place.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
I posted threads warning about this simply based on experience with Wacom Cintiqs. But the key thing here is the forums are NOT flooded with reports of scratched screens and that is very encouraging. In fact, can someone point me to a single report of a scratched screen from the pencil? The primary reason for this in my opinion, is the lack of an oleophobic coating on the glass, which as many know, will scratch more easily than the underlying glass itself.

Nevertheless, Apple's advice is absolutely correct. Everytime you use the pencil, always run your finger over the tip to make sure no grit has attached itself to the tip. I always suggest that you give the screen a very quick gentle wipeover with a cloth to remove any debris on the screen surface, to avoid the unfortunate risk of a bit of grit being dragged across the screen between pencil tip and glass.

Reactions: sracer

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Interesting.

I noticed the screens on the display Pro's in my local Apple store were looking a little scratched like from the pencil.

More than likely it "looked" scratched but not really. People touch the screen with their fingers leaving grease. Then the pencil trundles through this grease as it is being used leaving behind what look like scratches...but of course they wipe off.

Reactions: Surfer13134

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
The Matt screen protectors could actually cause excessive wear

On the pencil tips sure, but will help to prevent the possibility of grit getting caught in pencil tip and scratching the screen. The pencil tips are replaceable, screen not so much.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
On the pencil tips sure, but will help to prevent the possibility of grit getting caught in pencil tip and scratching the screen. The pencil tips are replaceable, screen not so much.
The answer would be a good quality glass screen protector. Not a Matt finish

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I posted threads warning about this simply based on experience with Wacom Cintiqs. But the key thing here is the forums are NOT flooded with reports of scratched screens and that is very encouraging. In fact, can someone point me to a single report of a scratched screen from the pencil? The primary reason for this in my opinion, is the lack of an oleophobic coating on the glass, which as many know, will scratch more easily than the underlying glass itself.

Nevertheless, Apple's advice is absolutely correct. Everytime you use the pencil, always run your finger over the tip to make sure no grit has attached itself to the tip. I always suggest that you give the screen a very quick gentle wipeover with a cloth to remove any debris on the screen surface, to avoid the unfortunate risk of a bit of grit being dragged across the screen between pencil tip and glass.
Exactly. Similar concerns were raised with some styli like the Adonit Jot. A few vehemently claimed that the plastic disc scratched the gorilla glass screen. The reality came down to 2 scenarios... screen protectors were scratched (not the glass) and in those rare instances of the glass being scratched it was due to a piece of grit being embedded into the plastic disc and it was the grit that scratched the screen.

I suspect that there will be an even greater number of false alarms with the Apple Pencil, some honest mistaken reports, the rest trolls a-trollin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.