Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Just wanted to let everyone know about an incompatibility between Garage Band 3 and Logic 7 I found today (I'm using express, but apparently this is an issue in Pro as well). If you create a song file in Garage Band 3 and then try to open it in Logic 7 it will give you a warning saying Core Audio plugin "Ducker" not found, and your song will have no audio output (i.e. It will play but you won't be able to hear anything). I did a little poking around online and found out that this issue will be fixed in February with the universal binary version of Logic, but until then if you need to open Garage Band files in Logic you might want to hold off on the upgrade to iLife 06. If anyone comes up with a workaround please let me know. I haven't been able to figure out anything so far.

LaoTzu

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Stampyhead said:
Just wanted to let everyone know about an incompatibility between Garage Band 3 and Logic 7 I found today (I'm using express, but apparently this is an issue in Pro as well). If you create a song file in Garage Band 3 and then try to open it in Logic 7 it will give you a warning saying Core Audio plugin "Ducker" not found, and your song will have no audio output (i.e. It will play but you won't be able to hear anything). I did a little poking around online and found out that this issue will be fixed in February with the universal binary version of Logic, but until then if you need to open Garage Band files in Logic you might want to hold off on the upgrade to iLife 06. If anyone comes up with a workaround please let me know. I haven't been able to figure out anything so far.

What version Logic Express are you using??? mine is 7.1.1 but 7.2 demo's @ NAMM, and universal binary is $30 upgrade? Yes, in a week.... but Audio Units from any application ( especially Logic & GB) are available in whole OS - as Core Audio, Core MIDI -

There are some Audio Unit analysis app's - Waves for example - if it was added after maybe it needs updated plist????

Of all the issues, a single ducking plug-in is not even near my list...... a friendly UI in Logic would be heavenly..... or GB Pro??? With an Apple UI??

weedgie

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
Workaround: "Ducker" msg. then no sound from GB3 songs opened in Logic 7

I was getting the same "Core Audio: Plug-in "Ducker" not available!" message and then no sound from GB3 songs opened in Logic Express.

After much searching and messing about, I found that this worked for me...

For Audio Tracks, assign each track to a new individual Audio Track: click and hold the Track name, go to Audio, Audio Track, assign to Audio 4 and above or next nearest un-assigned Audio Track (for some reason Tracks 1-3 stayed silent)
For Audio Instrument Tracks, the Channel Strip I/O Output channel was assigned to a Bus channel. I changed this to the same Output channel as my Audio Tracks, Output 1-2 (I'm using built-in audio driver), and there was sound!

Hope this helps.

Fatherjacques

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Compatibilty GB3 and Logic 7

Stampyhead said:

Well I just received my Ilife 06 and just downloaded Logic 7 demo. I get the same problem. I run a power Mac G4 on 10.3.6:mad:

Any explanations?

Thanks

Jacques

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.