Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mussie81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
houston, tx
warning pleas don't update your phones or your apple product if it was repaired or had any changes!!!!! error -53
Recently apple brought an update of 9.0.1 and 9.2.0 for iPhones,IPADS, AND IPODS. although apple advertised these updates as a better quality enhancements and some bug fix, many apple users are screwed with this iOS update. i regret been an apple fun for many years and i am sure many of you are out there, this time apple seems cutting its relation with all end users. an iOS 9.0 and above update is not a security or quality enhancment update, but it is an update that detected changes in our phone, especially our touch id sensor and other third party repairs. a couple months ago, many apple funs changed their iPhone 6 and 6 plus home button with a different color of an after market home button, some of these phones home button get switched in third party during repairs, and some are to look better while others are worn out. today, all those iPhones are useles where you can't do anything at all, and this happens due to their latest update. the main reason apple released this update is not for quality or bug fix, but to sell more phone and to close third party businesses. this iOS update will affect so many apple products and there is no ways to get your cellphone fixed nor your data out unless you had it on your iCloud or pc. this is a major company defect which is implemented intentionally to users and third party business, and hopefully they will be sued for this un ethical and immoral business. in addition, iOS 8.4.1 is also removed from their server so that you will not downgrade it your phone. error 53/ 3194. i was in a hurry sorry for my grammar.

causes of iOS update failure.
1. any kind of repair in third party.
2. replacement of touch id (home button)
3. any un usual change
4. etc

symptoms of this iOS update failure (error 53)
1. update through wifi leads a failure in installation
2. restore/ update through iTunes results error 53.
3. phone stack in apple logo with half updating bar.
4. phone may not downgrade.

solutions.
1. for those who are under warranty stacked in error 53 (iOS update/ restore) i suggest you go to apple store and ask to your phone to get replaced.
2. no solution (zero solution) for those who are out of warranty and already stack during update.
3. those who haven't update, pleas don't update it you will loose your phone and your valuable data.

value of your phone after error 53 is zero.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
It's Apple's way of generating more revenue. My current 5S was flawless when I got it. Even after a year it was still working great. But then when the 6 and 6 Plus came out with iOS 8, and I eventually updated to iOS 8, that's when my phone started acting less than stellar. And as it got older, and iOS 9 and 6S and 6S Plus, came out, my 5S became very frustrating. Texting is abysmal. Very inaccurate now. Was perfect when my 5S was brand new and so was iOS 7.

I'm very certain Apple does this on purpose. People may say, "how can they change stuff on your phone without you knowing, or authorizing?". Well, for the last few years, my iPhones (starting with the 5), have been downloading iOS updates to my phone. Even though I have it clearly set up to NOT download. Just inform me of available updates, and I'll download and install at a time of my choosing. But no, whenever there is a new update, I plug my phone to charge over night, and in the morning I'll notice I just lost 1-2GB worth of space, and checking Usages, there's an update ready for install on my phone.

So if Apple can push updates to our phones, even when we setup that we don't want to download and it does anyway, I'm very certain they can push anything to our phones without us knowing or authorizing. This is perfect for them. Mess up the phones just enough so that it still works fine in general, but little things tweak it to frustrate users, into upgrading their phones to the latest and greatest.

Many people are also unaware or refuse to acknowledge, new iOS versions aren't meant to work optimally on older phones, they are just made to be COMPATIBLE. Meaning it will work, but now as well as it would on the newer phones it was intended for. Gone are the days of Jobs. He may have been a hard ass, but he was also a perfectionist. He was about innovation and quality. Cook is about sales and dollars.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
It's Apple's way of generating more revenue. My current 5S was flawless when I got it. Even after a year it was still working great. But then when the 6 and 6 Plus came out with iOS 8, and I eventually updated to iOS 8, that's when my phone started acting less than stellar. And as it got older, and iOS 9 and 6S and 6S Plus, came out, my 5S became very frustrating. Texting is abysmal. Very inaccurate now. Was perfect when my 5S was brand new and so was iOS 7.

I'm very certain Apple does this on purpose. People may say, "how can they change stuff on your phone without you knowing, or authorizing?". Well, for the last few years, my iPhones (starting with the 5), have been downloading iOS updates to my phone. Even though I have it clearly set up to NOT download. Just inform me of available updates, and I'll download and install at a time of my choosing. But no, whenever there is a new update, I plug my phone to charge over night, and in the morning I'll notice I just lost 1-2GB worth of space, and checking Usages, there's an update ready for install on my phone.

So if Apple can push updates to our phones, even when we setup that we don't want to download and it does anyway, I'm very certain they can push anything to our phones without us knowing or authorizing. This is perfect for them. Mess up the phones just enough so that it still works fine in general, but little things tweak it to frustrate users, into upgrading their phones to the latest and greatest.

Many people are also unaware or refuse to acknowledge, new iOS versions aren't meant to work optimally on older phones, they are just made to be COMPATIBLE. Meaning it will work, but now as well as it would on the newer phones it was intended for. Gone are the days of Jobs. He may have been a hard ass, but he was also a perfectionist. He was about innovation and quality. Cook is about sales and dollars.
You can remove the updates you know..

Reactions: AZhappyjack

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
You can remove the updates you know..

With the iPhone, you cannot downgrade to older version of the iOS. Apple only allows a small window to revert back to previous version. After that window is closed (usually within a few days of the release of an update), you can no longer downgrade to previous versions. Unless of course you have downloaded a copy of the SHSH blobs for the previous version. If you don't have this, there is no way you can change back the previous firmware. Which is what you need to be able to install the previous version of the iOS.

On a Mac system, you can downgrade, so long as you have a physical copy of the older Mac OS, on a thumb drive or disc. Apple no longer allows you to download older version of their Mac OS. But in doing so, you have to wipe your drive clean, and reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch. Which I'm sure you know, is a PAIN.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With the iPhone, you cannot downgrade to older version of the iOS. Apple only allows a small window to revert back to previous version. After that window is closed (usually within a few days of the release of an update), you can no longer downgrade to previous versions. Unless of course you have downloaded a copy of the SHSH blobs for the previous version. If you don't have this, there is no way you can change back the previous firmware. Which is what you need to be able to install the previous version of the iOS.

On a Mac system, you can downgrade, so long as you have a physical copy of the older Mac OS, on a thumb drive or disc. Apple no longer allows you to download older version of their Mac OS. But in doing so, you have to wipe your drive clean, and reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch. Which I'm sure you know, is a PAIN.
I think that was in reference to being able to remove an update that gets automatically downloaded (but not yet installed).

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I think that was in reference to being able to remove an update that gets automatically downloaded (but not yet installed).

Ah. Ok. Yes you can. But it still brings the question, why does Apple do it, when I have my phone and iTunes set up to NOT download or install anything with my permission. Which also brings the fact that, if they can put updates into our phones ready for install without our consent or knowledge, I would wager a large sum of money that they can put other things in our phones that we aren't aware of. ;-) Why do you think, for every update your previously amazing iPhone suddenly starts to be not so amazing in performance. You start to run in to issues. To the point that you get so frustrated, you decide to upgrade to the latest and greatest. And your happy again. Until the next round comes along, when your previous latest and greatest, becomes the focus of your frustration. lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ah. Ok. Yes you can. But it still brings the question, why does Apple do it, when I have my phone and iTunes set up to NOT download or install anything with my permission. Which also brings the fact that, if they can put updates into our phones ready for install without our consent or knowledge, I would wager a large sum of money that they can put other things in our phones that we aren't aware of. ;-) Why do you think, for every update your previously amazing iPhone suddenly starts to be not so amazing in performance. You start to run in to issues. To the point that you get so frustrated, you decide to upgrade to the latest and greatest. And your happy again. Until the next round comes along, when your previous latest and greatest, becomes the focus of your frustration. lol
There is no setting to disable updates from being downloaded when the phone is on WiFi and connected to a power source. It's a function built into iOS that doesn't have user controls. As for the rest of it, seems like the slippery slope concept would apply just as well.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
There is no setting to disable updates from being downloaded when the phone is on WiFi and connected to a power source. It's a function built into iOS that doesn't have user controls. As for the rest of it, seems like the slippery slope concept would apply just as well.

Which is my point about Apple in the last few years. They give you what THEY feel you want. We have no choice. Far from the the way Apple used to be. If we wanted to update, it was up to us. If we didn't, we didn't hear more about it. Nothing was "pushed" to us. And if we decided we wanted to revert back to an older version, it was relatively painless. I remember, before Mac OS X, we didn't have to reformat our drives to reinstall older OS. We just installed, and it overwrote whatever was currently installed. Now, we have to jump through hoops just to be "heard" about the things that have made our experience with their products less than acceptable. We shouldn't have to walk a tight rope, to want to go back to an older version that was working perfectly fine, from a newer one that is making using the once fine device, frustrating. All because Apple and other tech companies want MORE control over what we can and cannot do with their devices that we purchased. For me, at least with Apple products, I've been used to their old mentality of "It Just Works", and "User Friendly". Now it's "It works well enough", and "Well, other people seem happy with it". lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Which is my point about Apple in the last few years. They give you what THEY feel you want. We have no choice. Far from the the way Apple used to be. If we wanted to update, it was up to us. If we didn't, we didn't hear more about it. Nothing was "pushed" to us. And if we decided we wanted to revert back to an older version, it was relatively painless. I remember, before Mac OS X, we didn't have to reformat our drives to reinstall older OS. We just installed, and it overwrote whatever was currently installed. Now, we have to jump through hoops just to be "heard" about the things that have made our experience with their products less than acceptable. We shouldn't have to walk a tight rope, to want to go back to an older version that was working perfectly fine, from a newer one that is making using the once fine device, frustrating. All because Apple and other tech companies want MORE control over what we can and cannot do with their devices that we purchased. For me, at least with Apple products, I've been used to their old mentality of "It Just Works", and "User Friendly". Now it's "It works well enough", and "Well, other people seem happy with it". lol
It's not the last few years, iOS has always been like that for close to a decade now. Anyone going with iOS would already know this or should already know this. That's not to say it's good or right, in particular from the consumer side of things, but it's to say that's how iOS has been pretty much since the beginning and it's certainly nothing new or surprising or shocking in any way, especially all these years later.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
It's not the last few years, iOS has always been like that for close to a decade now. Anyone going with iOS would already know this or should already know this. That's not to say it's good or right, in particular from the consumer side of things, but it's to say that's how iOS has been pretty much since the beginning and it's certainly nothing new or surprising or shocking in any way, especially all these years later.

I guess I was just lucky then. At least for a while. My first iPhone was the 3GS running iOS 3.x.x. And it ran perfectly for me at the time. I was always apprehensive about jumping on the smartphone wagon. Didn't think I'd need it, or have much use of it. After all, the cellphone I had before took pics, and I was able to text. But after playing around with my friend's iPhone, I got very interested. Then I found an amazing deal on a 3GS. So I took the leap. It was an awesome experience. That is until I updated to the brand spanking new iOS 4.0. From there, it has been as you mentioned.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess I was just lucky then. At least for a while. My first iPhone was the 3GS running iOS 3.x.x. And it ran perfectly for me at the time. I was always apprehensive about jumping on the smartphone wagon. Didn't think I'd need it, or have much use of it. After all, the cellphone I had before took pics, and I was able to text. But after playing around with my friend's iPhone, I got very interested. Then I found an amazing deal on a 3GS. So I took the leap. It was an awesome experience. That is until I updated to the brand spanking new iOS 4.0. From there, it has been as you mentioned.
Apple didn't control and put just what they wanted into iOS 3? Or you could have gone to iOS 2 if you wanted on the 3GS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.