Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shotta287

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Hi all, so I bought a brand new sealed iPhone 8 back in February from a seller on Facebook. I activated the phone on February 8th and this is confirmed when I go on Apple Support under the Valid Purchase Date.

The 1 year warranty however doesn’t show up on Apple’s check coverage site or on the Support site. I’m assuming the warranty has expired. So is it the case that warranty starts when the phone is purchased as opposed to when it is activated?

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
It starts when you purchase it. I have bought my phones from my carriers web store, and AppleCare is always a week off from when I get the phone. Another thing that annoys me about AppleCare is they give you a year and you buy two, so you’d think you get three years, but nope only two.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I recently bought a new sealed original SE from Swappa and the warranty started when I activated the phone.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Warranty is based on activation date, not purchase date.

If it were based on purchase date, a lot less people would be willing to factory sealed iPhones on the secondary market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.