Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVS0S

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
behind you
Just recently, I factory restored my iPhone due to me forgetting the backup password. When I added my card, I noticed that I did not need to call the bank like I did before. But now, it skipped the verification. Anyone know an explanation?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder if it is because the bank recognized that hardware device had already been authorized for the card?

What bank is it? I use Bank of America and if you have the Bank of America app installed and authorized, you can add a card without having to go through the phone call.

AVS0S

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
behind you
I have Fifth Third. I'll try to see if my business card does the same thing.

EDIT: I just added my other card from another bank that was previously activated with Apple Pay. That also skipped the verification.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The verification is only required sometimes. It's been entirely random for me (I restored my device a lot back when I was playing with betas) so I suspect they have some algorithm that goes "this is suspicious, better make sure it's really them" occasionally.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just recently, I factory restored my iPhone due to me forgetting the backup password. When I added my card, I noticed that I did not need to call the bank like I did before. But now, it skipped the verification. Anyone know an explanation?
The verification process differs from bank to bank, so it's difficult to give a definitive answer for your particular card. However, Apple sends information from the device to the issuing bank which can be used as part of the verification process. So perhaps the bank recognized that the card was previously successfully verified on that particular phone and approved it without further verification this time.

Here's some related information from the iOS security guide:

"Additionally, as part of the Link and Provision process, Apple shares information from the device with the card issuer or network, like information about your iTunes and App Store account activity (for example, whether you have a long history of transactions within iTunes), information about your device (for example, phone number, name, and model of your device plus any companion iOS device necessary to set up Apple Pay), as well as your approximate location at the time you add your card (if you have Location Services enabled). Using this information, the card issuer will determine whether to approve adding the card to Apple Pay."

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
My bank, Wells Fargo, does the same thing for verification that "Weaselboy" stated. I have the Wells Fargo mobile app installed and since my cards were issued by Wells Fargo they are added automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.