Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I’m under the assumption that midnight green never took off or it would have gotten carried over to the 12 line..

Was the color really that much if a sales flop? Is there any mock-ups of what the 12 would look like in a midnight green?

it’s interesting that the color went away— apple generally sticks to colors or variations of them for a while. It’s strange that midnight green was a one and done.

Those of you that have it, are you happy with it?

Reactions: myrtlebee

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
As part of a recent study on gender norms, University of Maryland sociologist Philip Cohen asked nearly 2,000 men and women a simple question: "What's your favorite color?" Blue turned out to be most popular across the board, followed by green for men and purple for women. The color preferences break down as follows:

1604123826074.png

I'm going to assume based on this research they thought lets change the special colour and let's choose Blue since most people like Blue.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Midnight Green was clearly a fad color from day one. A lot of us like myself predicted it would go away the next cycle. Dark green doesn't translate well across the globe. The only universal colors are white/silver, black/gray, and gold.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have it. It’s one of the very few colors I never got tired of. I unfortunately will have to go with a model that weighs less and will miss this color. My wardrobe consists of a lot of earth tones and it went well with so many of my clothes.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’m under the assumption that midnight green never took off or it would have gotten carried over to the 12 line..

Was the color really that much if a sales flop? Is there any mock-ups of what the 12 would look like in a midnight green?

it’s interesting that the color went away— apple generally sticks to colors or variations of them for a while. It’s strange that midnight green was a one and done.

Those of you that have it, are you happy with it?
I doubt it’s anything to do with sales. Apple seems to be keeping the Pro lineup colors simple. You have the basic black (whatever Apple called it), white/silver, and gold. And then there’s the one color to really differentiate from the previous year. Last year, Apple picked midnight green. This year, Apple picked blue.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Wouldn't be too surprised if pacific blue is gone next year, even if it does well.

A lot of People get pulled in by a new color. It makes the phone look fresh and new.
This.
I think white/silver, gold and some form of space grey/black will stay as staples in the Pro line and every year will get a different statement colour.
The statement colour will be for the Instagram and YouTube ‘influencers’ otherwise people may mistake them for last years model and that’s not acceptable to them.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I agree with the above idea that green (and now blue) were / are the rotating annual guest colour/s.

I bought both & like them equally - there's precious little else to distinguish the phones visually from year to year & seems likely to increase sales overall across the range.

Reactions: StaceyBink

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I have a MG 11 Pro Max. I like the color and still like it.

It was different from what I usually get which was Space Grey or Black.

I’m glad they offered the color it’s different. Maybe they’ll change up from Pacific Blue next year. If I decide to get a 12 Pro Max it will be Pacific Blue or possibly Gold.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
I'm going to assume based on this research they thought lets change the special colour and let's choose Blue since most people like Blue.
Interesting! And weird that there is neither black nor white. I presume this was not an option in the survey, as it seems unlikely they would have been zero otherwise. (I know they are not colors according to some definitions, but in others they are, and for the purpose of iPhone choice they definitely are.)

It also makes me wonder though, what are the actual consequences of a color being a favorite? For example, I'd say my most favorite color is a deeply saturated orange, I really enjoy looking at that - but I would not walk around in it, nor buy a phone in it. Frankly, I have hardly anything in that color. It's something for sundowns and fruits and holidays, a sentimental thing.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Blue will be replaced on the next cycle with either another variation of rose gold/copper or pastel burgundy or pale purple. Unless it becomes such a huge seller that they decide to keep it but only change the hue of the blue but I doubt. Green will make a return within few generations.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It seemed like a popular colour from my experience. I don’t encounter too many people with Pro iPhones but the ones I did seemed to have the green. It was an edition colour so we may see it one day again. I have a feeling the iPhone 13 Pro will have a dark plum colour as it’s edition release as this year was blue.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 27, 2014
It seemed like a popular colour from my experience. I don’t encounter too many people with Pro iPhones but the ones I did seemed to have the green. It was an edition colour so we may see it one day again. I have a feeling the iPhone 13 Pro will have a dark plum colour as it’s edition release as this year was blue.
A dark plum color, or a wine red, or product red would be awesome.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I like my green pro max. Color is personal taste and choice. I'll be getting the Pacific Blue pro max. I'm just tired of always getting silver or space gray variations.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
As others have mentioned, might be that Apple keep SG/Graphite, Gold and Silver in the Pro lineup but have a 4th colour that changes annually. Would really like to see a ruby Product Red or a copper next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.