Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Trying to solve this little mystery, but somehow a Google search escaped me from getting a firm answer.

I know that there was an official Apple iPad Air Black Leather Smart Case released for the iPad Air 1. Was there ever an official Black Leather Smart Cover released for the iPad Air 1? My search found only genuine polyurethane (not black, but Charcoal Gray) Smart Cover, as the iPad Air 1 Leather Smart Cover I found being sold on eBay are likely fake. Does anyone know?

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
What about the iPad Air 2 Leather Smart Cover? Does that exist also? If so, will that work for iPad Air 1?
There was a leather smart case for the Air 2, but no cover. The Air 2 and original Air also have different dimensions, so it wouldn't fit even if it did exist.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I am now completely confused... Too bad there is no "official" history of Apple catalogue somewhere where I can just look this up.

I am trying to get an official Apple Smart Cover for an Apple iPad Air 1. Is there a black one? If there is no black color, what is the closest color? Am I looking at polyurethane as the only choice? What is the official part number for this?

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
A couple of mins on Google (quicker than messing with a forum such as this) gave me this video...

I’m sure there are better ones/other lists but the official Smart Covers for the Air 1 are displayed near the beginning of the video. Apple Smart Covers for the 2017 & 2018 iPad also fit and work.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
You are amazing! I did not think of using YouTube to do a search to find a video that would show the Apple product page that would list the original catalog page on the Apple website for the Smart Cover. What in the world do you think up of using this trick?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.