Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Was getting annoyed with sticky keys on my iPads Magic Keyboard, and the stonewall process to get it added to apple care. Used utensil detergent and pad, washed it under the sink. I should have used distilled water but oh well.
The next two days my experiment did not work, with the keyboard dead and iPad saying “accessory not supported”.
However the evening of the second day, it came back to life and now i have fresh clicky keys. 5/10 recommended if you have an out of warranty magic keyboard with sticky keys

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Why would you recommend this when it was an obvious failure? So many other ways to remove sticky residue like GooGone or isopropyl alcohol.
I tried, nothing worked to get out all the dirt etc since launch day usage. Vacuum and compressed air too. This was a bit extreme but results are top notch. Feels like a new keyboard.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I tried, nothing worked to get out all the dirt etc since launch day usage. Vacuum and compressed air too. This was a bit extreme but results are top notch. Feels like a new keyboard.
Until your keyboard shorts out again. It’s a matter of time.

Secondly, I would never recommend what you did, regardless of your keyboard is out of warranty or not.

All you need to do in the future, is take a soft bristle brush that’s long enough that can reach between the keys and lightly mist the brittles with 80% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, lightly scrub, which will quickly evaporate and then you can use compressed air that will remove any residual debris.

The reason for isopropyl alcohol, is it will help break down any stickiness residual.

FYI…. Do not use Goo-Gone.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Was getting annoyed with sticky keys on my iPads Magic Keyboard, and the stonewall process to get it added to apple care. Used utensil detergent and pad, washed it under the sink. I should have used distilled water but oh well.
The next two days my experiment did not work, with the keyboard dead and iPad saying “accessory not supported”.
However the evening of the second day, it came back to life and now i have fresh clicky keys. 5/10 recommended if you have an out of warranty magic keyboard with sticky keys
AppleCare+ on your iPad specifically includes support for the keyboard:

• Up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $49 for iPad and $29 for Apple Pencil or Apple‑branded iPad keyboard, plus applicable tax

Reactions: slvrscoobie

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
AppleCare+ on your iPad specifically includes support for the keyboard:

• Up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $49 for iPad and $29 for Apple Pencil or Apple‑branded iPad keyboard, plus applicable tax
did NOT know this was covered. wow.. good to have in my back pocket!

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
I know about AC+. My keyboard wasn’t added despite sharing the serial number while I purchased the AC+ policy. I have tried in vain to get it added. This was a last resort option. I’m glad it worked out

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Terrible idea, OP.
I wouldn’t call it terrible. Lack of a battery in the keyboard gave me the courage to gamble on it. Electronics if cleaned with a non conductive liquid, and dried properly before use should be none the worse. I do agree tap water and dish soap wasn’t the smartest, however it was a $350 paperweight that annoyed me daily and I didn’t care if it stayed dead.
Until your keyboard shorts out again. It’s a matter of time.

Secondly, I would never recommend what you did, regardless of your keyboard is out of warranty or not.

All you need to do in the future, is take a soft bristle brush that’s long enough that can reach between the keys and lightly mist the brittles with 80% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, lightly scrub, which will quickly evaporate and then you can use compressed air that will remove any residual debris.

The reason for isopropyl alcohol, is it will help break down any stickiness residual.

FYI…. Do not use Goo-Gone.
I’ll be trying the brush and iso alcohol next time around. Sometimes I’ve found alcohol to be decremental to plastics and rubber in an irreversible manner, so I use Clorox wipes or spectacle lens cleaner.
I have AC+ till august. If it dies I’ll get it added to the plan And get a replacement. That is my plan but it now working has made me lazy in calling apple support, they are idiots.

Really, call it stupid but this keyboard washing along with the bottom of the magic keyboard never getting warm/hot are perks of iPad usage that I enjoy over a MacBook.

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
This is absolutely terrible advice. Please don't wash your electronics. It might work now, but unless you can confidently remove every single instance of moisture from the internals, it's going to eventually cause corrosion.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This is absolutely terrible advice. Please don't wash your electronics. It might work now, but unless you can confidently remove every single instance of moisture from the internals, it's going to eventually cause corrosion.
Correct. Once the corrosion eats through one of those tiny solders, your device will stop working again. This isn't the old days where the keyboard is purely mechanical.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Does the keyboard get sticky for everyone?
I've had the 12.9" and 11" iPad Magic Keyboard, I've had the Mac standalone Magic Keyboard, I've had various Logitech keyboards, and I've had various MacBook models with some sort of "Magic Keyboard" branding included. Not once have I ever had them get sticky or jammed. (I do hate the butterfly switch MacBook keyboards, but never had one fail mechanically somehow.)

I dust about once every 2 weeks and use it as a reminder to give my daily-use Logitech MX keyboard a couple of blasts of compressed air. I also usually don't eat anything while I'm typing a lot and have managed to never have a bad spill on a keyboard.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Does the keyboard get sticky for everyone?
Magic Keyboard is the only one to get sticky for me.
Zero issues on my (2015-present) MBP & (2014-20) Lenovo Y50. Never had any standalone keyboards get sticky either. Piss poor product this magic Keyboard, but I’m glad it survives a wash. Never been better

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
I've had the 12.9" and 11" iPad Magic Keyboard, I've had the Mac standalone Magic Keyboard, I've had various Logitech keyboards, and I've had various MacBook models with some sort of "Magic Keyboard" branding included. Not once have I ever had them get sticky or jammed. (I do hate the butterfly switch MacBook keyboards, but never had one fail mechanically somehow.)

I dust about once every 2 weeks and use it as a reminder to give my daily-use Logitech MX keyboard a couple of blasts of compressed air. I also usually don't eat anything while I'm typing a lot and have managed to never have a bad spill on a keyboard.
All I do is Clorox wipes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.