Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Left it in my cycling jersey and ran it through the wash. :( I put it in rice for a week and it does play, but I can only control it with the headphones. I charged it and used it a week ago, but when I went to grab it the other day it was completely drained so I suspect there is something wrong with the charging as well. It's back in the rice.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'm off to eBay I guess, can't ride without it!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Left it in my cycling jersey and ran it through the wash. :( I put it in rice for a week and it does play, but I can only control it with the headphones. I charged it and used it a week ago, but when I went to grab it the other day it was completely drained so I suspect there is something wrong with the charging as well. It's back in the rice.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'm off to eBay I guess, can't ride without it!
Which generation of Shuffle is it?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
4th, 2gb

It does charge, but as I said, I can only control it with the headphones. If I turn it off even after a few minutes, even the headphones won't turn it on again.

Thanks!

(never got the notification for your reply so I'm off to fix that too)

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
4th, 2gb

It does charge, but as I said, I can only control it with the headphones. If I turn it off even after a few minutes, even the headphones won't turn it on again.

Thanks!

(never got the notification for your reply so I'm off to fix that too)
It seems like maybe water got to the control board and killed it. That is a pretty fragile part so it wouldn't take much. If it has intermittent issues otherwise, it's probably the whole board is damaged.

Sadly, the unit might be permanently damaged. If it's doing this even 9 days later, it probably won't correct itself. If you do decide to find another shuffle, they can be had for around $50 on eBay, and the second gen (very similar to 4th) is also available for as low as $20.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Such a bummer! Figures I killed the one that was a gift. I'll have to setup a search, the ones I found when I posted this were scratched pretty badly and over $50.

I have a 2nd gen as well, but it's only 1gb, so I asked for the 2gb for xmas one year so I didn't have to keep deleting songs as I added new ones. (and a first gen but that one doesn't clip and I like clipping it inside my shirt - still can't believe Apple discontinued this little gem)

Thanks for your help!

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Haven't decided yet. I got on off eBay and reformatted the old one. I'll see how it does. Sound was a little off last time I tried it.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Washed my nano 6th gen once and had to replace the battery and the display.
So maybe a battery replacement will do the trick for your shuffle?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Mods please throw the scam bot above me out...

I think you're having enough issues with it that indicate board level damage. Unless someone is really good with fixing damaged Shuffle mainboards you'll probably end up with a new mainboard in your old shell.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Mods please throw the scam bot above me out...

:oops:

I think you're having enough issues with it that indicate board level damage. Unless someone is really good with fixing damaged Shuffle mainboards you'll probably end up with a new mainboard in your old shell.

True, but a damaged battery can cause the faulty behavior as well. It wasn't a big thing with the nano to replace it, so maybe it's worth a try. (If you already have a replacement it's most likely not worth the effort..)

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
:oops:

True, but a damaged battery can cause the faulty behavior as well. It wasn't a big thing with the nano to replace it, so maybe it's worth a try. (If you already have a replacement it's most likely not worth the effort..)
Not sure if you saw but there was a post for a bit that was about how to get cash quick online, made by someone who created their account today.

I can imagine that opening a shuffle is quite hard, due to how small the parts are. If OP has the patience to do it, then it might be worth a try

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Not sure if you saw but there was a post for a bit that was about how to get cash quick online, made by someone who created their account today.

I can imagine that opening a shuffle is quite hard, due to how small the parts are. If OP has the patience to do it, then it might be worth a try

No worries, thanks for the nice reply!

it says 'verry difficult' but I assume that's because of the soldering. It was the same with the Nano and if you have some soldering experience and a steady hand, it's not really a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.