Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SophiaL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2019
Hey, I have a weird question. 😀
I know its not recommended to use soap and rinse your iphone under water.. but I struggle with OCD and so I have washed my iphone11 every day under running water and also used some soap on it.
sometimes the screen would get blurry and start to flicker but that usually resolved after a few days.
I know that I damaged the phone and the sealing/coating.. but does anyone know if hazardous chemicals (like from the battery) could be coming out of my phone now due to the usage of water and soap..? I also didn’t remove the cover before I washed it.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
If you have gotten water and soap inside the iPhone, where it has potentially reacted with the internal surfaces and is now leaching out, I don't think anyone here can really know.
"Hazardous chemicals" is not a binary thing. It is a matter of degree and type of exposure. For example, some substances are harmful when ingested or breathed, but not when touched; and some are only mildly irritating and only for some people.
I expect Apple avoids using seriously hazardous substances as far as they can, given current technology, see here:

Last edited:

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I understand you've got OCD, but soap and water wouldn't be my choice of cleaning product.

As suggested, some glass cleaner and a clean microfibre or glass cloth will work just as well and you should also avoid any moisture getting inside the device. Being that it is an 11 although it has some water protection, the seals will be aged now and less effective.

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
Last year I washed my AirPods Pro in the machine, and it has been working well until now. Good luck!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Silly people-
While iPhones are rated to IP68 water ingress protection- apple won’t guarantee it or honor a warranty if the phone leaks.
So iPhone waterproofness is only “likely”.
Bottom line: getting an iPhone wet is risky. Washing it under running water is a BAD practice.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I used weak hand gel and submerged my iPhone 8 in the water once per month for 2 years and never had any issues with this practice. No corrosion on the charging pins, etc… everything remains perfect. I probably wouldn’t try it now due to the age of the device as the seals may be compromised.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Best way to sterilize your iPhone is in a UV sterilizer. They are relatively cheap and can be found on Amazon.

As far as chemicals leaking out of your phone, about the only thing would be from the battery and I highly doubt you phone would be running at all if the battery was leaking. oCD or not, I suggest you stop washing your phone under water.

The seals in an iPhone 8 were not that good to begin with and have dried out by now and should not be trusted.

Wish you good luck with your OCD, I have a friend who also has OCD and it rules his life.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I have been washing my phones since the 11pro. Apart from a no sim issue on the 12Pro which led to a warranty (no water damage apparently) rear system change I have noticed no bad effects.
If by flicker, you mean the screen behaving as it’s responding to touch input, while you don’t touch it, that’s normal with water. No damage done.

I would suggest to wash it with the cover removed so you can dry it properly and there’s no mold growth.
If you’d like to get the water seal re applied the Apple Store may offer it for free or you could get a battery service done.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I have been washing my phones since the 11pro. Apart from a no sim issue on the 12Pro which led to a warranty (no water damage apparently) rear system change I have noticed no bad effects.
If by flicker, you mean the screen behaving as it’s responding to touch input, while you don’t touch it, that’s normal with water. No damage done.

I would suggest to wash it with the cover removed so you can dry it properly and there’s no mold growth.
If you’d like to get the water seal re applied the Apple Store may offer it for free or you could get a battery service done.

I would never trust a geek in the back room to provide a water resistant seal as good as the factory while changing the battery.

• Love
Reactions: addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Seal wears over time, every chemical other than distilled water might affect it (but don’t use it as its water). Also isopropyl alcohol equal of over 70% damages coatings, when 30% is safe to even clean motherboards and maybe this is good to use.

So be careful :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
If it is just to sterilize, hard to beat the UV boxes you place your phone in and they are available at Amazon.

I have never worried too much about germs and viruses. I had and got over Covid. Exposure is good if you want to maintain a resistance.

Reactions: addamas

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Silly people-
While iPhones are rated to IP68 water ingress protection- apple won’t guarantee it or honor a warranty if the phone leaks.
So iPhone waterproofness is only “likely”.
Bottom line: getting an iPhone wet is risky. Washing it under running water is a BAD practice.
I agree. Unless you have AC+, then one can go crazy with a $29-$100 penalty if things go wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.