Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzikman1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Hi to all, just joined this forum...

Purchasing a Quad G5 as soon as Im back in london in 2 weeks and have alsready purchased 8 x 1GB sticks of Crucial RAM..Im just worried now after reading at a couple of forums that for audio production the optimum RAM is 2.5GB!! How true is that?? I thought the more RAM the better, and since I'll be using Logic Pro 7 with heavy plugins, and virtual synths along with RAM-streaming sample players eg: EXS24, I did a good thing buying 8GB..

Please share your thoughts..Should I consider selling off some of my RAM??

thanks,

chris

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
muzikman1000 said:

Purchasing a Quad G5 as soon as Im back in london in 2 weeks and have alsready purchased 8 x 1GB sticks of Crucial RAM..Im just worried now after reading at a couple of forums that for audio production the optimum RAM is 2.5GB!! How true is that?? I thought the more RAM the better, and since I'll be using Logic Pro 7 with heavy plugins, and virtual synths along with RAM-streaming sample players eg: EXS24, I did a good thing buying 8GB..

thanks,

chris

I would think the more RAM you can afford the better. You may not need it now but if you plan to keep the machine down the road you may be happy you bought it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
muzikman1000 said:

thanks,

chris

I am not sure where you are getting this wasted RAM information from, but the more RAM the better most always. If your applications will not use it, your system can use it for it's own OS tasks, or for other applications you have running.

Typically the more RAM you have, the less page Ins and outs your hard disks will have to preform (even though it will always us paged memory no matter how much RAM you have).

Also the more memory you have, the more applications you can have open at the same time (so long as they are not all fighting for the same Processor resources. And like the other poster said, the more memory you have, chances are your system will be more useful for a longer period of time then one without.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think that optimum RAM should be read as the right trade off between cost and performance. It's all about marginal returns. You double the RAM from 1GB to 2GB and the performance increase nearly doubles yet you double it again to 4GB and the performance increase isn't as significant but the added cost is far greater. :)

muzikman1000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks for replies...

Hhmmm...so I guess taking everything into consideration, its difficult to gauge just how much of my 8GB Ram would actually be used or to what extend and what improvement it will provide for my particular needs..Anyone using their G5 with Logic Pro 7 and other audio apps?

At least I didnt pay nowhere near the price that Apple charges for RAM upgrades! Mine cost (off the top of my head) in the region of 450-GBP for the 8x1GB DDR2 Non-EEC RAM by Crucial...

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
muzikman1000 said:

thanks,

chris

Ram, Bam, thank ya, maam! as they say :)

You did the right thing :D

Forget that "optimal" crap. Optimal is what it takes to get the job done.

And audio apps DO use LOTSA ram, why do you think they call those synths "virtual" ? Because the are created, applied, stored and manipulated in memory....... the more ram you have, the more synths (and other apps too) you can use together at one time :D

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
If you think you have too much idle ram, just create a 4 gb RAM disk and save all your temporary recordings there, your disk will thank you :)

Just don't forget to save the rendered output elsewhere :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.