Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Suddenly after the new stable OS update Watch 6 stopped auto-connecting to AirPods Pro when they connected to the phone. Now I must manually connect them via AirPlay button, then they connects to the both devices. They also connecting if I play radio. But after putting AirPods to the case this again resets.

Already restarted phone, watch; reset AirPods and Watch (also set as new, without backup) — same. Anyone has this?

MarcinRSE

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
Suddenly after the new stable OS update Watch 6 stopped auto-connecting to AirPods Pro when they connected to the phone. Now I must manually connect them via AirPlay button, then they connects to the both devices. They also connecting if I play radio. But after putting AirPods to the case this again resets.

Already restarted phone, watch; reset AirPods and Watch (also set as new, without backup) — same. Anyone has this?
have the same thing with AirPods 2 and iPhone 12 and Watch SE. I restarded the phone, watch, reseted Airpods. Did not reset the Watch. I guess we should send feedback to apple..

Reactions: TopoR

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
watchOS 8 + iOS 15 and still broken and works only if AirPods automatic switching turned off (and you loose easy reconnection cross devices, but it will be connected to watch and iPhone).

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yep, still broken with iOS 15 and Watch OS 8 as mentioned above. Wonder if an AirPod FW update is needed to fix this.

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
15.2 / 8.3 — quite interesting.

By the first tests it's appears, that Apple tried to fix this by launching phone app on the iPhone in full screen (at least while initiating the call) instead of minimized like before after making call via watch. Previously it's also was possible, but after manual tap on the top left corner with the green phone indication. Since now it's omitted, AirPods switching to the call by themselves.

But this is not a proper fix (there no battery levels of the AirPods inside the watch battery page) but at least something.

Reactions: Itinj24

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Small update: tested with incoming calls and for now not a single issue.
Also Airpods battery level (with delay, but still) appears in the watch battery section too.
It looks like a proper fix!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Small update: tested with incoming calls and for now not a single issue.
Also Airpods battery level (with delay, but still) appears in the watch battery section too.
It looks like a proper fix!
I tried this with 15.2/8.3. Put my APP in my ear and they connected to the phone but the AirPlay icon in the Watch control center never highlighted so I assumed it was still broken. Did it take you a few tries? Also when I first put my APP in my ears, I didn’t get the ding that they were connected and the volume slider on the iPhone had a generic Bluetooth icon instead of the AirPods icon. That corrected itself on the second connection though.

This is one of two bugs I really wanted fixed in 15.2 and I’d be happy. The other is My wife and I aren’t getting Live location in Find My for each other. Funny thing is I get them for kids but it’s off their stay at home iPads so pretty useless lol.

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
I tried this with 15.2/8.3. Put my APP in my ear and they connected to the phone but the AirPlay icon in the Watch control center never highlighted so I assumed it was still broken. Did it take you a few tries? Also when I first put my APP in my ears, I didn’t get the ding that they were connected and the volume slider on the iPhone had a generic Bluetooth icon instead of the AirPods icon. That corrected itself on the second connection though.

This is one of two bugs I really wanted fixed in 15.2 and I’d be happy. The other is My wife and I aren’t getting Live location in Find My for each other. Funny thing is I get them for kids but it’s off their stay at home iPads so pretty useless lol.
The airplay icon not highlights even without automatic switching for me, but now works properly either way. Making and recieving calls properly transfer call into Airpods with automatic switching ON.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The airplay icon not highlights even without automatic switching for me, but now works properly either way. Making and recieving calls properly transfer call into Airpods with automatic switching ON.
Ok, so you’re saying now that’s it’s fixed, the AirPlay icon doesn’t highlight at all? I can’t remember if it did or not before this feature was broken. Thanks.

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Ok, so you’re saying now that’s it’s fixed, the AirPlay icon doesn’t highlight at all? I can’t remember if it did or not before this feature was broken. Thanks.
Yep. Also can't remember, but previous workaround with turning auto-switching in the Airpods settings OFF also doesn't highlight this icon (and also worked for me, but, obviously, with the cost of the convenience of switching between devices ?)

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yep. Also can't remember, but previous workaround with turning auto-switching in the Airpods settings OFF also doesn't highlight this icon (and also worked for me, but, obviously, with the cost of the convenience of switching between devices ?)
Ah ok thanks. I just tried several times putting the AirPods in my ear and taking them out, putting back in the case, while wearing my watch and it’s not working for me ?. It may have worked once if that. I don’t get the AirPods battery to show up until I manually connect with the AirPlay button. Then if I go back and select to connect the Watch, the AirPlay button doesn’t stay highlighted but i keep getting the battery percentage for the AirPods. Very odd behavior. I’ll keep playing around with it. Anything in setting I should change? I have auto connect turned on and I’ve done a few reboots for Watch and phone.

Did you unpair your AirPods at all to get this to work?

TopoR

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Ah ok thanks. I just tried several times putting the AirPods in my ear and taking them out, putting back in the case, while wearing my watch and it’s not working for me ?. It may have worked once if that. I don’t get the AirPods battery to show up until I manually connect with the AirPlay button. Then if I go back and select to connect the Watch, the AirPlay button doesn’t stay highlighted but i keep getting the battery percentage for the AirPods. Very odd behavior. I’ll keep playing around with it. Anything in setting I should change? I have auto connect turned on and I’ve done a few reboots for Watch and phone.

Did you unpair your AirPods at all to get this to work?
Aside from the turning ON auto-switching nothing.
Battery level (with auto-switching ON) appears with some delay though (with auto-switching OFF it's instant after connection to the phone), need more testing. But all calls still properly using Airpods instead of watch mic.
About the Airplay icon — i think it's highlighted only when Airpods directly connected to the watch. When it's shared connection from the iPhone — icon doesn't highlight.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Aside from the turning ON auto-switching nothing.
Battery level (with auto-switching ON) appears with some delay though (with auto-switching OFF it's instant after connection to the phone), need more testing. But all calls still properly using Airpods instead of watch mic.
About the Airplay icon — i think it's highlighted only when Airpods directly connected to the watch. When it's shared connection from the iPhone — icon doesn't highlight.
Yeah it makes sense what you say but I saw different behavior. When the bug occurred and I’d have to manually connect the AirPods on the Watch, the AirPlay icon would highlight but it would also be connected to both phone and Watch. Maybe it’s just part of the bug lol. Im gonna do some more testing. Appreciate all your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.