Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Disclaimer: not surprised or frustrated by these issues ... this is beta 1, after all. Just wondering if others have bumped into this and if there's a work-around.

Series 7 Watch seems to have lost some integration capabilities with the phone (eg. using the crown to adjust volume while listening to audio, etc).

The Watch App on the phone says the watch OS needs to be updated ('Update Required'). Watch is currently running 8.1. iOS suggests 8.6 (don't have the beta profile for the watch yet). But the phone can't tell that the watch is, indeed, sitting firmly on its charger, and is charged well over 50% (100% by now), and it keeps saying the installation is paused until those qualifications have been met.

I've rebooted the phone, removed and replaced the watch from its charger multiple times; no love.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I was able to get past this.

1. reboot watch
  2. place on charger while rebooting
  3. after reboot, ensure watch isn't in 'night stand' mode
  4. check Watch app on iOS -- it needs me to unlock watch
  5. leaving watch on the charger, unlock it via passcode
  6. Watch app on iOS is now able to update WatchOS from 8.1 to 8.6
It's possible I didn't have to do all those steps in that order; the watch reboot may have been enough to fix the issue. I post the steps I took as a matter of completeness.

The WatchOS installation errored out once early in the process the first time, but clicking the 'install' button a second time it went through without a hitch.

Got the Watch upgraded to 8.6, and it started working with my phone again.

In the process of installing WatchOS 9 on it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.