Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sideman7

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but is anyone seeing massive battery drain since updating their phone to 17.4? There hasn't been a corresponding watch OS update yet, but the watch I wear for sleep died over night last night, and my Ultra which is normally at 82-83% at the end of my workday is down to 45% already. I have rebooted both the phone and watch I the middle of the day, and I don't see any difference yet.

Reactions: drmorley

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
not for me. My Ultra2 is down ~ 30% within 24hrs which is quite typical.

As always, give it a few days, reboot both AW and phone after a few days ...

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else yet, but is anyone seeing massive battery drain since updating their phone to 17.4? There hasn't been a corresponding watch OS update yet, but the watch I wear for sleep died over night last night, and my Ultra which is normally at 82-83% at the end of my workday is down to 45% already. I have rebooted both the phone and watch I the middle of the day, and I don't see any difference yet.

Yes! I have both an S9 and S7. Both died today. I’m on 17.4.
are all of your watches on watchOS 10?
my sleep watch was still on 9 until this morning and I did notice some strange behavior with the "auto switch" function yesterday.
might want to check the battery in settings on the phone and check whether or not the watch app shows unusual activity/drain

sideman7

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Yeah, everything is up to date. My "sleeping" watch a S5, made it 5.5 hours (based on the sleep data it got) from 100-0. My Ultra 2 is consuming more than double battery. Now down to 40%, and I typically put it back on the charger at night around 70%. Nothing unusual in the phone battery settings...

bluehoop

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2024
Exactly the same for me. My wife and I have s5 watches which both died hours earlier than normal in the immediate aftermath of the 17.4 update on the phone. The good news is that watch battery performance the following day appears to have returned to normal. Have not seen anything quite like this before - usually only when the watch os has been updated, not the phone’s os alone.

• Haha
Reactions: arc of the universe

sideman7

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2016
Exactly the same for me. My wife and I have s5 watches which both died hours earlier than normal in the immediate aftermath of the 17.4 update on the phone. The good news is that watch battery performance the following day appears to have returned to normal. Have not seen anything quite like this before - usually only when the watch os has been updated, not the phone’s os alone.
Exact same experience for me today. I have never seen this behavior from an update on the phone only.

Reactions: arc of the universe

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
Updated recently to iOS 17.4, watchOS 10.4 (and macOS 14.4) and seems that battery is going down more quickly than before. Nothing shocking BTW, will wait some day to stabilise system before drawing conclusions. Ended charge 100% at 12, now it’s 5 and I’m at 79%. Rebooted before charging. Didn’t do anything with the watch. Projection below 24hrs. AW6, battery at 95%.
I saw the revamped look on timers, not bad. Didn’t notice it in the specs, maybe wasn’t careful enough in reading.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Yup, my AWU2 was perfectly fine and now it’s in drain mode like no other. Maybe Apple should quit playing with the software every month or two and rushing it out until they can hire a software team that knows they’re doing. It’s getting ridiculous how awful Apple software has become across most all of their products.

drmorley

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Chicago

I'm having the exact same issue. My AWU2 used to get 72 hours on a charge and now I barely get 48 hours. Something changed with latest update.

Reactions: delsoul

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I’m really getting tired of Apple’s inconsistency with their software. It’s quite pathetic at this point that most every owner of their products have to hope and pray with each update that something doesn’t screw up. The battery drain on the AWU2 now is completely unacceptable, on the verge of looking elsewhere at a Garmin or so.

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.