Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Apple watch cellular does not ring on a phone call if the iphone is out of data network or wifi coverage (assuming bluetooth on iphone is off). The watch rings only if the phone is on wifi or cellular data.
Is it correct behaviour?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No. Should still ring even if the phone is turned off. Are you sure cellular is on, on the watch and you have an active cellular plan?

Reactions: musicpenguy

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
The cellular on the watch is ON and the plan is active. It shows all four bars for signal strength.
Still when the iphone is off, the caller gets an engage tone and the watch does not ring even if it is connected to cellular and to wifi.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What all should be shown in the Watch under Settings > Mobile Data.
Currently there are two things shown: Plan and Status.
There is a green tick against Plan.
No other information is shown on the screen un the watch.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Watch rings only when the phone is connected to data network- either on cellular or wifi.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Who’s your carrier? Wonder if it’s a carrier limitation.
If you got to the watch app, on the phone under cellular, is phone checked on?

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Who’s your carrier? Wonder if it’s a carrier limitation.
If you got to the watch app, on the phone under cellular, is phone checked on?
On the watch app of phone, Mobile Data > Phone is switched On.
I checked with Carrier, they have activated the watch. Still my problem remains the same.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
At this point I would just unpair the watch and start fresh. I can make and receive calls with no problem even if the phone is completely shut off, not connected to anything.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I upgraded to a cellular S5 but I couldn’t get cellular setup...kept getting cryptic messages that I had to have it reviewed at an AT&T store. Took my phone and watch in and they sorted things out and got my watch up and running. As a test, the rep had me power off my phone. She then called my phone’s cell number and my watch rang and I answered...So the phone can be completely off.

The only thing that won’t work are notifications with the phone off...from apples support doc...

To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your cellular Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby. You also need to be signed in to iMessage on your iPhone.

Reactions: dave006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.