Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Is watching my local iTunes library (not store bought ones) possible on a Roku?

I have the Apple TV app and in library I can see my iTunes bought one but I can’t see the rest of my computers media files.

Thanks

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is watching my local iTunes library (not store bought ones) possible on a Roku?

I have the Apple TV app and in library I can see my iTunes bought one but I can’t see the rest of my computers media files.

Thanks

Watching local iTunes content requires the Home Sharing option be enabled in iTunes (on the host computer) and you must enable Home Sharing on the device (previously ONLY and AppleTV or a Mac)... I would think that the same requirement would be in place, and not sure if/how one can log into/enable Home Sharing via Roku (or the TV+ app on Roku). I'm guessing the answer to your question will be "no".

I'd love to be wrong on this...

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Apple TV app for Roku currently supports neither Homesharing nor Airplay, so there is currently no way to stream content from an iTunes server. However, given that your files are not DRM protected, there are other ways to locally stream them such as the Roku Media Player or Plex, but it will require setting up software on the computer (Plex server or DLNA server).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.