Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
Hi,

Anyone has issues with the battery after updating to watchOS 8.5?
I have updated recently to watchOS 8.5 and now I have serious issues with the battery. Before the update I was arriving in the evening (10 pm) with around 40%, yesterday I had 10%, with the same usage/behavior.
Today afternoon ( at 3 pm) I had 45%. Clearly, something is wrong. With the same conditions and without starting power-consuming habits, just with one update, the battery is draining quickly.

Thanks in advance.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Hi,

Anyone has issues with the battery after updating to watchOS 8.5?
I have updated recently to watchOS 8.5 and now I have serious issues with the battery. Before the update I was arriving in the evening (10 pm) with around 40%, yesterday I had 10%, with the same usage/behavior.
Today afternoon ( at 3 pm) I had 45%. Clearly, something is wrong. With the same conditions and without starting power-consuming habits, just with one update, the battery is draining quickly.

Thanks in advance.

it only happened with me and my wife yesterday! We charge our watches overnight and in the morning around 8ish it was 100% and by 4pm it was 10%. not sure what happened!

Reactions: nickbelane

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
it only happened with me and my wife yesterday! We charge our watches overnight and in the morning around 8ish it was 100% and by 4pm it was 10%. not sure what happened!
Ok I see. But then something is wrong with the latest release...

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Snap….. Series 7. Used to charge first thing in the morning and it would last 24hrs.
Now I still charge first thing in the morning but have had to take a portable charger with me to recharge during the afternoon.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
What settings do you have enabled in S7?
- Rise to wake up
- Washing hands counter
- Reminder to wash hands when returning home
- Siri?
- Do you use shortcuts?

For me it’s stable… but I feel like it’s a bit worse battery life now compared to 8.4
I use all except hand washing related stuff, always on display.

Charged to 100% at 23:40 yesterday:

Woke up at 8:30
72% at 12:00
67% at 13:30
63% at 14:30
No fitness activity

EDIT:
48% at 19:40
35% at 23:00
Sleep from 1:00-8:20
13% at 8:20

So I totally agree that something is wrong here with battery life. Could do 2 days max in the past with 2 sleeps, but when charged in the morning.

Will test today too :/

Last edited:

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
What settings do you have enabled in S7?
- Rise to wake up
- Washing hands counter
- Reminder to wash hands when returning home
- Siri?
- Do you use shortcuts?
- Rise to wake up = I use Theatre Mode for most the day.
- Washing hands counter = No
- Reminder to wash hands when returning home = No
- Siri? = It’s on but hardly ever used, nor does Siri ask questions when not needed.
- Do you use shortcuts? = No

I have both a Series 7 and Series 4. Both watches for software are like-for-like.
Yesterday I used the Series 4 to test and was surprised that the battery lasted all day, no need to top-up mid afternoon.
Today I’ve gone back to the Series 7. It’s been back on my wrist for an hour and already I’m noticing a difference over yesterdays Series 4 figures.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Strange, we have the same settings.

Do you use on Apple Watch:
- Apple Music (it might synchro music in background, personally I don’t use as YT music is cheaper and have more music I listen - covers and meditation ones)
- Photos (some might be synchronized, I disabled it at first day of use)
- do you have any problems with WiFi?

I assume it’s also WiFi only AW, right?

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Strange, we have the same settings.

- Apple Music (it might synchro music in background, personally I don’t use as YT music is cheaper and have more music I listen - covers and meditation ones)
- Photos (some might be synchronized, I disabled it at first day of use)
- do you have any problems with WiFi?

I assume it’s also WiFi only AW, right?

- Apple Music (it might synchro music in background, personally I don’t use as YT music is cheaper and have more music I listen - covers and meditation ones) = NO
- Photos (some might be synchronized, I disabled it at first day of use) = NO
- do you have any problems with WiFi? = Not on the Watch but the iPhone does keep losing it’s WiFi.

I assume it’s also WiFi only AW, right? = Correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.