Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msavich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Hey guys, when I move around the house I find that the Apple Watch sometimes ceases to work despite saying it is connected. When launching the app I often just see a spinner for minutes on end before the app crashes. My iPhone is two floors above me, the Watch shouldn't be using bluetooth, but I think it might be holding on somehow. Has anybody else experienced this?

msavich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Wifi....?
My watch should be on wifi, I know it can connect, but the problem seems to be that I am just barely within bluetooth range and the watch might just be reconnecting to bluetooth. Shouldn't the watch know the bluetooth connection is way weaker than wifi and switch over? Or does it have to be entirely out of range? And what are the criteria for the watch even connecting to the phone over wifi? I've tried turning bluetooth off, but sometimes the connection doesn't improve. And if the watch gets disconnected from the wifi, can it reconnect on its own? I'd think no but i've had seen cases where I turn the BT off on my phone, followed by the wifi, then the watch shows as disconnected, then I turn the wifi back on and it reconnects! I can't find any documentation in the manual or the knowledge base about this. Sometimes I try to make a phone call from the watch and it just says "call failed". Call failed??? WHY?? How can I troubleshoot this?! I've turned the phone off and I can still use Siri on the watch so that means it can connect to the wifi… even though the manual explicitly states that the iPhone needs to be connected to the network for that to function so I don't know what is going on??! This is driving me crazy sometimes I have trouble functioning-- there is this thing on my arm and I don't know if it is working and I don't know if it is a software, hardware, or lan problem, I am literally half a foot away from the router and the phone is two stories above me and I still have this problem. I went on the dev forums and there was an Apple employee who called this an implementation detail and said "it just works" but what about when it DOESN'T just work? What do I do!…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.