Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I got a Watch SE2 cellular for my kid and activated it as a watch only line. Every few days, the watch stop receiving and making calls, same issue with text/iMessages as well. I have verified that cell signal was good in the areas where this failure happens. This issues fixes itself if I restart the watch, but manifests again in few days after restart.

I took it to Apple and they replaced the device as it's still under warranty. The local T-Mobile store wasn't of any help, apart from reset and re-pair the watch. I have setup the watch using my iPhone, which already has a watch paired (non-cellular). I'm lost for ideas as this new watch was meant for us to be in communication with my kid.

Appreciate any input on this matter.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
hi
so, this problem was the same on both watches (1st one, as well as the 2nd one after replacement) ?
if so, then its definitely a user setting problem.
also, you mentioned that it happens periodically. if so, then all that i can think of is that one of the settings you have set involving a timer of some kind is the reason for this; such as cant use the phone after a certain time of day; or in Screen Time some kind of app or communication limitation has been set.
sorry i cant be of more help.

Last edited:

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
hi
so, this problem was the same on both watches (1st one, as well as the 2nd one after replacement) ?
if so, then its definitely a user setting problem.
also, you mentioned that it happens periodically. if so, then all that i can think of is that one of the settings you have set involving a timer of some kind is the reason for this; such as cant use the phone after a certain time of day; or in Screen Time some kind of app or communication limitation has been set.
sorry i cant be of more help.
I thought so too...thinking that school time setting may be throwing it off. I reset the watch to factory settings without any restrictions. The issue still persists.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Is it possible that the watch is only taking calls in Wi-Fi areas so it’s picking up the calls/texts through Wi-Fi and not cell signal? That’s the only thing. I can think of. I know that I had an issue with transferring cellular to my new watch from the old one with t no, and that was the issue for me. Cellular still worked for checking emails, etc. but I couldn’t make calls. It took a pretty long call to t mo to finally figure it out.

Reactions: arc of the universe

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
i would review the settings listed on this apple support page to understand the limitations that can be set on a family setup watch to see which of these settings is currently causing the problem.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Is it possible that the watch is only taking calls in Wi-Fi areas so it’s picking up the calls/texts through Wi-Fi and not cell signal? That’s the only thing. I can think of. I know that I had an issue with transferring cellular to my new watch from the old one with t no, and that was the issue for me. Cellular still worked for checking emails, etc. but I couldn’t make calls. It took a pretty long call to t mo to finally figure it out.
That's my next step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.