Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I use the Watch’s native Workout app and lately I’ve been noticing that it stops reading the heart rate for rather long periods while I’m working out. For instance out of 30 minutes of exercise there’s like a 5 minute gap when the Watch just stopped reading my heart rate. This didn’t happen before. What could it be and is there any fix? watchOS 6 on Apple Watch Series 5.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use the Watch’s native Workout app and lately I’ve been noticing that it stops reading the heart rate for rather long periods while I’m working out. For instance out of 30 minutes of exercise there’s like a 5 minute gap when the Watch just stopped reading my heart rate. This didn’t happen before. What could it be and is there any fix? watchOS 6 on Apple Watch Series 5.
Happens if the watch is moving too much while working out or if your wrist gets too sweaty and interferes with the sensor (either the moisture directly or because the sweat allows the watch to slip around where it normally wouldn't when not all sweaty). A slightly tighter band will help alleviate this. It's one reason I like to work out with the sport loops -- easy to make it slightly tighter when on the move.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Also, check the position of the watch, if it slides too far, it won't register. I've noticed that more often with the Breathe app. I'll sit quietly, and it won't register anything for heart rate, so I'll re-position my watch and do it again.

Reactions: rmoliv

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
For best results with any wrist based optical HR, do these things: shave a patch, tighten one notch, wear it well above the wrist bone, and wear a sweat band on the arm above the watch.

Given the season it could also be the cold. If you are exercising in the cold, capillaries shrink and reduce ability of optical HR detection. If you are serious about HR, wear a chest strap, or even better, buy a Scosche Rhythm + or Rhythm 24 and wear it on upper forearm or biceps. These locations don't seem to suffer from capillary retreat like the extremities do. I use the Rhythm 24, which connects to my AWs reliably every time and provide very accurate, constant data (tested early on against Polar and Garmin chest straps).

Reactions: CUAviator

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Ill bring this thread back to the top .........

I'm having intermittent issues with gaps in heart rate recording during workouts. When I look at the watch during the workout the heart rate is greyed out with the red icon spinning. I thought at first it was an issue with my HR chest strap, but it happens with both the AW and strap. It seems to last for 1 or 2 minutes and then come back and then repeats. At the end of the workout I see gaps in the HR reading.

It's a recent issue in the last couple of weeks. Ive done hundreds of workouts using strap and watch sensor and never had this issue.

Im currently using an 11ProMax running 14.1 and AW6 Running 7.0.2

Any thoughts appreciated

hangkous

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
I have the heart gaps (since 7.0.0). I have the gps issue. I have the standing/active kcal/exercise minutes bars not showing up on my phone. I have incorrect active energy.

Yes, reinstall everything is what Apple says (watch + phone), but then I loose all my data between now and the iOS 14 and Watch OS 7 updates. Plus I will loose hours and need to reinstall bank apps security etc.

I have a life Apple, you have one job.

Last edited:

cdcdoc

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Ill bring this thread back to the top .........

I'm having intermittent issues with gaps in heart rate recording during workouts. When I look at the watch during the workout the heart rate is greyed out with the red icon spinning. I thought at first it was an issue with my HR chest strap, but it happens with both the AW and strap. It seems to last for 1 or 2 minutes and then come back and then repeats. At the end of the workout I see gaps in the HR reading.

It's a recent issue in the last couple of weeks. Ive done hundreds of workouts using strap and watch sensor and never had this issue.

Im currently using an 11ProMax running 14.1 and AW6 Running 7.0.2

Any thoughts appreciated
I have tried everything suggested here or elsewhere...nothing works. I have also installed the public beta. I am afraid that it is not a software issue because I have used my 5 series and it has not happened. My wife has series 6 as well and does not have this issue. I have scheduled a call to arrange a swap.

Jana_CZ

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2019
For best results with any wrist based optical HR, do these things: shave a patch, tighten one notch, wear it well above the wrist bone, and wear a sweat band on the arm above the watch.

Given the season it could also be the cold. If you are exercising in the cold, capillaries shrink and reduce ability of optical HR detection. If you are serious about HR, wear a chest strap, or even better, buy a Scosche Rhythm + or Rhythm 24 and wear it on upper forearm or biceps. These locations don't seem to suffer from capillary retreat like the extremities do. I use the Rhythm 24, which connects to my AWs reliably every time and provide very accurate, constant data (tested early on against Polar and Garmin chest straps).
I’ve found this thread when looking for a good HR gadget to complement my Watch. May I ask - are you still happy with the Rhythm 24? Or have you found something better in the meantime? Thanks! 🙂

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Watch does not have to be loose to lose HR. This has happened to me on every Apple Watch I have owned. On a hike it will start reading HR just fine but then freeze or stop. All I do is reposition on my arm and that usually does it for the work out. This happen to me on 1 or 2 of 5 workouts.

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
I get this all the time and have done with 4, 5, 6, 7 and now 8. Pisses me off.
I’ve tried position on wrist, tightness of band, type of band etc and combinations.
I can start flexibility prior to run and no issues, run no issues, walk refused to record then cool down records again. No playing with the strap during transitions.

CUAviator

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2023

It was freezing yesterday and my watch stopped reading the hr. This is what I figured. Funny thing is, when I opened the HR app, it would pick it up pretty quick, then switch back to the workout app and it’s show my hr…for a little bit, then stop. Back and forth back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.