Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the design of the Apple Watch?

• Usually wear a watch. Like the design of the Apple Watch

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Usually wear a watch. Don't like the design of the Apple Watch

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Don't usually wear a watch. Like the design of the Apple Watch

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Don't usually wear a watch. Don't like the design of the Apple Watch

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Interested to know how watch wearers like the Apple Watch compared to their bare wristed brothers (and sisters)

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I like the concept and the UI is amazing, I was very impressed. I won't be getting one though as I have a collection of very expensive watches that I wear on a rotation.

The sporty Apple Watch could have some use, but I am not tempted to buy one.

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Interesting poll! Would love some more answers to get a real feel for any potential differences

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I always wear a watch (a G. Gerlach ORP Dzik, if anyone cares) and am not at all interested in the Apple Watch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't wear a watch, I'm also on the fence with the design. It does look cool, but how useful will it be. I need to see it in person to make a determination.

I'm like 99.99% sure though I'll not buy it. Given the price, limited features (no GPS), possible short battery life all mean its a product that doesn't really do much for me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I haven't worn a watch in over a decade. I like it though, I just have to make sure I don't get stuck to something... I always get my fingers caught in doors and other weird crap. :eek: I'm going to end up destroying something at least one time while wearing it.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
I don't wear a watch and most men I know don't wear watches. I see this as a
Geek or Fitness Freak device. Limited market as I see it and this device doesn't
make me want to start wearing it. Maybe it's a fad maybe not, either way I'll be
on the sidelines watching and waiting for a new and improved device that could
have features that I would actually need or want. For me this was the biggest
letdown Apple has had in years......

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've always worn a watch and still do. The aWatch does not attract me in the least. Not in function. Not in style.

I am not surgically attached to my phone. (annoys me that my iPhone 4 doesn't have notification LEDs) I don't want my watch to be dependent on another piece of equipment to be functional.

Charging devices is a necessary evil, it is one way in a sense that makes us slaves to our devices. :) I don't want to have to charge my watch nightly. Miss a night, no watch the next day. Travel, yet another charger to bring.

But then again, My lifestyle is a collection of anachronisms.

I am more likely to consider the aGlass then the aWatch.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I voted other. I usually wear a watch and over the last year usually wear a smartwatch. This looks very similar to what is on the market (a thick rectangle). I do not think it looks good, but also do not think it looks bad. It is the nature of the smartwatch market. The only smartwatch I think looks better is the moto 360 b.c it is round.

It is nice to see they have two different sizes. I have small wrist, so the smaller size appeals to me.

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Well this does indeed support my hypothesis that watch wearers have different expectations to how a smart watch should look. I'd really like to know if Apple is deliberately targeting people who don't already wear watches. Until now, it seems like this is the group most likely to buy one.

Kiju

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010
I don't wear a watch. I have my phone if I need to check the time.

I would wear smart watch. I forsee a lot of use and application beyond just telling time. I quite like the design as well, but that's just me I suppose. I don't like the look of round smartwatches, so much wasted space goes into a circle display.

askep3

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
I think a major point to think about is if it will still be functional without an iphone connected, like u would still need to have an iphone, but let's say ur iphone died, or u forgot it at home, the aWatch should still be able to give u the time and track ur fitness, but have limited functionality otherwise.

lunch

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
I wear a watch every day.

I like the general idea of the Apple watch but probably won't get it because of the requirement for daily charging and the lack of much in the way of biometrics. I want a sleep monitor, for example. Not only doesn't the Apple Watch have this but you have to remove the watch at night to charge it so it couldn't be added without addressing the battery life and charging issue.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I wear a fitness tracker, but no watch. Being that fitness is enough of a focus to warrant an entire subset of the product and a standalone video, the poll should include additional options for folks interested in that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.