Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techie_MD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Hello -

Apologizes if this has already been asked and answered, but it is possible to watch Apple TV+ on an Apple TV currently logged into a different Apple ID? Our family's Apple TV uses my Apple ID, however my wife got a new iPhone and a free year subscription to Apple TV+, but we can't seem to find a way to be logged into my account on our Apple TV and then utilize her free year of Apple TV+. Seems there is no way to enter alternative credentials with Apple TV+ and the only solution might be to use her phone and try to airplay her screen. Any other ideas or insight is welcomed.

Thanks!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Are you using Family Sharing with your wife? If so, complementary Apple TV+ should just kick in (may help if you log out and log back in).

Techie_MD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Hi Nutmac - No I was unaware of Family Sharing. It looks like that should work perfectly. Thanks for the recomendation. Do you know if Family Sharing is customizable, meaning you can set up as many features or as little as you want. For example, we both have upgraded icloud storage plans, so would we have to combine them or can we choose to keep them separate?

Thanks!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Do you know if Family Sharing is customizable, meaning you can set up as many features or as little as you want. For example, we both have upgraded icloud storage plans, so would we have to combine them or can we choose to keep them separate?
By adding someone to your family sharing group, you will automatically share:
  • Payment info
  • iCloud storage: I am not sure why you wouldn't want to consolidate iCloud storage. 200 GB ($2.99/month) and 2 TB ($9.99/month) plans are eligible for family sharing, which could save you money. I guess if you are both on 200 GB plan, and you maybe forced to spend $4.01/month extra for 2 TB plan.
  • Apple Music (but only if you are on $14.99/month family Apple Music plan)
  • Apple TV+ and Apple TV Channels
  • Apple Arcade
  • Apple News+
You can only choose not to share:
  • Digital purchases from App Store and iTunes Store
  • Location sharing (Find My app)
  • Screen time

Techie_MD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for the information Nutmac! I will go ahead and set this up for my family.

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
apple tv has multi-user now too...you could also have her login and switch over to her user whenever you want to use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.