Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
This is a nuisance that I've been having, and I wonder if there is a way to resolve it with a 'default' setting of some sort.

I often watch programs or shows using my Apple TV+ subscription on my iMac (not the Apple TV hardware, the TV service using the app).

When I'm watching a program or movie, the selection for audio output appears on the lower left of the screen and you can chose between various AirPlay devices.

I have two HomePod speakers as a stereo pair, placed at both sides of my iMac, so that is my preferred audio output.

Whenever I listen to something using the Apple TV app on my iMac, I need to select the HomePod speakers for the audio output. Default is always the internal iMac speaker.

Once I've finished watching one program or movie, when I start the next then I have to again select the HomePod speakers for sound output. The output has switched back to the iMac speaker.

Seems to me that I should be able to set up the sound output for TV+ to the HomePods as default, but I don't see any way to do that.

My software versions are all the most current - macOS 10.15.4.

(Using the HomePods with the iMac is still less than perfect as a general comment. For one thing, even though the two speakers are set up as a stereo pair, on my iMac sound preferences, they are listed separately and it isn't possible to select them as paired. I've been expecting Apple to improve this every time a new version of macOS is released, but so far it hasn't happened!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.