Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
I was hoping to download some movies to watch while camping and not connected to the internet so I downloaded a movie purchased on iTunes on to my iPad, turned off my Wi-Fi and cell data, and tried playing the movie. It won’t play unless connected to the internet. I can watch on older versions of iTunes on my Mac Mini but I was hoping to have a more portable solution. Is there a way to watch iTunes movies without a data connection on an iPad? Can rentals be watched on a disconnected iPad if downloaded? Thanks.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Rentals will definitely cannot be watched offline. And even purchased ones you need to let iTunes figure out DRM before they let you play. Worse still, if you want to use iPad to watch, Apple can force you to get files DRM checked before you can watch and there will be no workaround. I tried before and it didn’t work without internet connection.

You need to get DRM free video onto your iPad to watch Offline.

Reactions: DaveN and iStorm

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Rentals will definitely cannot be watched offline. And even purchased ones you need to let iTunes figure out DRM before they let you play. Worse still, if you want to use iPad to watch, Apple can force you to get files DRM checked before you can watch and there will be no workaround. I tried before and it didn’t work without internet connection.

You need to get DRM free video onto your iPad to watch Offline.
Thanks. That is sad because I’ve watched iTunes rentals and purchases off line using my Mac Mini. But it may not be an issue because in most places I should have limited cell phone reception so I’ll download when the signal is good and try to watch at other times including when the signal is weak but I can connect.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
As already mentioned, rentals cannot be watched offline. Rentals are limited to 48 hours after first playing, and Apple would have no way to verify you're not faking the date/time without an internet connection.

You should be able to watch purchased content offline though. Are you using the "TV" app to play them? (You can't use the iTunes app offline.) Or what exactly do you mean by "it won’t play unless connected to the internet"? Do you get an error, black screen, or something else?

Also, most streaming apps support offline play, if you have any of those. That's what I use when camping or during flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveN

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
As already mentioned, rentals cannot be watched offline. Rentals are limited to 48 hours after first playing, and Apple would have no way to verify you're not faking the date/time without an internet connection.

You should be able to watch purchased content offline though. Are you using the "Apple TV" app to play them? (You can't use the iTunes app offline.) Or what exactly do you mean by "it won’t play unless connected to the internet"? Do you get an error, black screen, or something else?

Also, most streaming apps support offline play, if you have any of those. That's what I use when camping or during flights.
I have watched iTunes rentals offline on my Mac mini but that was a few years ago. Terms may have changed but it was you have a month to start watching and 48 hours to finish watching after starting.

On my iPad I attempted to use the iTunes app to watch the purchased content off line. I’ll give the Apple TV app a try for offline. Thanks for the link. That is very useful.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have watched iTunes rentals offline on my Mac mini but that was a few years ago. Terms may have changed but it was you have a month to start watching and 48 hours to finish watching after starting.

On my iPad I attempted to use the iTunes app to watch the purchased content off line. I’ll give the Apple TV app a try for offline.
The iTunes store needs an Internet connection to play downloaded content, the Apple TV app - which has access to that downloaded content - does not. That's the problem - use the TV app for viewing, not iTunes.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2010
The iTunes store needs an Internet connection to play downloaded content, the Apple TV app - which has access to that downloaded content - does not. That's the problem - use the TV app for viewing, not iTunes.
Thanks! I tried this morning using the TV app and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.