Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
Hi! First message here.. Just updated my series 7 to watchOS 10 and... can't say there's anything new or good about it!

Here's my mini list of what I find annoying now...

incoming-8D18C681-52CD-4A70-88B2-1410117F492B.PNG

My good ol' familiar watch face has now less info!
- My watch face has, since forever, been Pride Digital (the original one). Really easy to read, colourful, etc... They've changed the complications and "Activity" only shows just the "Move" information followed by a new arrow. Now seeing Exercise and Stand takes quite some effort, so the information the watch provides me at a glimpse is a lot poorer.

incoming-227A0F80-13BE-48BE-B0CB-828E3752042C.PNG

List view always starts at the top
- Before watchOS 10, if you had used, say, Workouts, for the last time, if you pressed the Digital Crown on the watch, the menu would start where you left off. Workouts is way down the list now, sadly for me.

incoming-C2C61268-C91F-43CF-B419-C1945C02DBD2.PNG

Are you sure...? Ending a workout
This reminds me of the good old times when using windows, with all those pop up messages distracting you from what you wanted to do... Do you want to end a workout or do you want to start a new one??

Are any of these bothering anyone else? Am I missing any settings?

mwillard

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Providence
Swipe to Change Watchface is gone
I used to have one "pretty" watchface set up that didn't have too much info on it, but that looked nice. I would keep that up most of the time, then have a "useful" watch face in the next slot with all the shortcuts for different apps. Whenever I needed to do something like start a timer, start a workout, check the weather, etc., I would swipe over to my useful watch face, then tap the shortcut. Now, that requires a long press, swipe, then tap to change the watchface. Sounds like a minor thing but in every day usage it's quite annoying. Very un-Apple.

Add workout is gone
This one is mystifying. Previously, during a workout, you could swipe to the left then touch "Add" to start a new type of workout. My typical workflow at the gym was to start with "mixed cardio" while warming up, then add "traditional weightlifting" when lifting, then add either "indoor run", "indoor cycle", "stair machine", etc. based on whatever I was doing after lifting. That now takes many more steps to get to, and instead there's just a blank space where "Add" used to be. Why???

Did Microsoft design this watch update?

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I used to have one "pretty" watchface set up that didn't have too much info on it, but that looked nice. I would keep that up most of the time, then have a "useful" watch face in the next slot with all the shortcuts for different apps. Whenever I needed to do something like start a timer, start a workout, check the weather, etc., I would swipe over to my useful watch face, then tap the shortcut. Now, that requires a long press, swipe, then tap to change the watchface. Sounds like a minor thing but in every day usage it's quite annoying. Very un-Apple.
I have the exact same thing. my daily face sits in the middle of a stack with other functionality on either side, in decreasing frequency of usage. my "main" face is practical and more professional looking. On either side are faces with other useful info i don't need all the time. Swipe left/right showed me those faces.

erikkfi

Suspended
May 19, 2017
"Are you sure?" to end a workout is incredibly annoying and doesn't feel Apple at all. I already don't like getting a workout summary -- when I'm done, I'm done -- so this means I need to press "Yes" to confirm and then dismiss the summary just to get back to the new workout page.

Given that cancelling a workout requires you to swipe, then tap a button, I don't feel this is an action likely to be triggered by accident. This is weird.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have the exact same thing. my daily face sits in the middle of a stack with other functionality on either side, in decreasing frequency of usage. my "main" face is practical and more professional looking. On either side are faces with other useful info i don't need all the time. Swipe left/right showed me those faces.
Same here. This change is very annoying. Fortunately I became aware of it before I updated my watch to OS 10. Not updating unless they bring the swipe back.

more discussion here:

Reactions: 640K

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
"Are you sure?" to end a workout is incredibly annoying and doesn't feel Apple at all. I already don't like getting a workout summary -- when I'm done, I'm done -- so this means I need to press "Yes" to confirm and then dismiss the summary just to get back to the new workout page.

Given that cancelling a workout requires you to swipe, then tap a button, I don't feel this is an action likely to be triggered by accident. This is weird.
I have accidentally ended a workout once or twice, but you are right it doesn't happen that often. And does this new confirmation screen include a way to return to the current workout? The only choices I see in the screenshot is End Workout and New Workout.

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Since installing WatchOS 10, I've ending my workouts by saying "Hey Siri, End workout." Siri has been a godsend since updating, as I feel like I'm playing "Where's Waldo" with the buttons and crown looking to do things I'd have been able to do with muscle memory on WatchOS 9.

It's a good thing that Apple isn't in the plumbing business, as some genius there would probably think that it makes more sense to put the cold tap on the left and the hot on the right, meanwhile everybody would be scalding themselves until they got used to the change.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Since installing WatchOS 10, I've ending my workouts by saying "Hey Siri, End workout." Siri has been a godsend since updating, as I feel like I'm playing "Where's Waldo" with the buttons and crown looking to do things I'd have been able to do with muscle memory on WatchOS 9.

It's a good thing that Apple isn't in the plumbing business, as some genius there would probably think that it makes more sense to put the cold tap on the left and the hot on the right, meanwhile everybody would be scalding themselves until they got used to the change.
This is the correct way, it’s you yanks that have it wrong! 😂

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I have accidentally ended a workout once or twice, but you are right it doesn't happen that often. And does this new confirmation screen include a way to return to the current workout? The only choices I see in the screenshot is End Workout and New Workout.
There’s a close button at top left that takes you back to the current workout…

Reactions: Night Spring

mwillard

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2021
Providence

90% of the time I use Siri it works fine, the other 10% I want to throw my phone/watch across the room and never use it again.

Reactions: Five_Oh

CR90

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2022
The way to change faces is so much worse, this is how it was done on the Tag connect years ago so feels like a backward step. The lack of activity and only showing calories is a mind boggling decision, I can’t believe someone would approve that. Listening to a playlist and setting shuffle is not user friendly as it was previously and is a bit of a pain. The end workout feature is ridiculous. Siri has never worked on my watch before without pressing and holding the crown and now I’ve had Siri answer questions I didn’t even ask and certainly did not say ‘hey Siri’. This feels like a backwards update and not what I’d expect from Apple.

Reactions: douglasf13 and txen

txen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
This is a new pattern... to return to the current workout there's an X at the top left; too close to the rounded edges of the watch to hit properly... This same X appears in the summary screen; there's no longer a big yellow button at the end of it (who pays attention to the summaries anyway?)

And there's one last place where this tiny button shows up, just different. Same tap target size and proximity to the edge: The way to turn the watch off completely. PRess the side button, you'll see the options for Medical ID, Compass backtrack and emergency call... where's the power button?

incoming-4025706A-2409-4B0F-AC76-1299091BF642.PNG

txen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2023
The way to change faces is so much worse, this is how it was done on the Tag connect years ago so feels like a backward step. The lack of activity and only showing calories is a mind boggling decision, I can’t believe someone would approve that. Listening to a playlist and setting shuffle is not user friendly as it was previously and is a bit of a pain. The end workout feature is ridiculous. Siri has never worked on my watch before without pressing and holding the crown and now I’ve had Siri answer questions I didn’t even ask and certainly did not say ‘hey Siri’. This feels like a backwards update and not what I’d expect from Apple.
Some of the watch faces had a bit of interaction; the pride face was like guitar strings when moving the digital crown...

playing with the guitar and changing the watch face to Mickey by swiping faces were my niece and nephew's favourite thing; awww...

Maybe i'm "holding it wrong"

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

watchOS 10.0 making my life worse​

if that is how you feel about it - I'd just go and sell my AW ... sure, I won't argue that some changes are not for the better, but hardly making one's life "worse" ... you'll get used to it ...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Very much disagree with you here. The thing I most disliked about swipe-to-change was accidental activation. The new method is much better.

OcelotWreak

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Canada
I'm so disappointed in WatchOS 10 (3 distinct steps to scroll to a diff watch face; content that used to fit on one screen now requires scrolling down to get to the End button, text too thin/small to read, etc.) that I'm compelled to ask "Who is this clown that's now running the WatchOS UI Guidelines?"
(I think the most cutting thing you can say about such incompetence is "Who is this clown?" because it implies they're a) a clown and b) not even one of the better-known clowns.) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bdn1970

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Hi! First message here.. Just updated my series 7 to watchOS 10 and... can't say there's anything new or good about it!

Here's my mini list of what I find annoying now...

View attachment 2270575
My good ol' familiar watch face has now less info!
- My watch face has, since forever, been Pride Digital (the original one). Really easy to read, colourful, etc... They've changed the complications and "Activity" only shows just the "Move" information followed by a new arrow. Now seeing Exercise and Stand takes quite some effort, so the information the watch provides me at a glimpse is a lot poorer.

View attachment 2270576
List view always starts at the top
- Before watchOS 10, if you had used, say, Workouts, for the last time, if you pressed the Digital Crown on the watch, the menu would start where you left off. Workouts is way down the list now, sadly for me.

View attachment 2270577
Are you sure...? Ending a workout
This reminds me of the good old times when using windows, with all those pop up messages distracting you from what you wanted to do... Do you want to end a workout or do you want to start a new one??

Are any of these bothering anyone else? Am I missing any settings?
The list view bothers me also. In my case, I use timers a lot at work and before upgrading if I went to the apps in list view it was right where I needed it. Now, as you said, it defaults back to top of list and every time I have to scroll back down. Not sure what they did to it but I do wish they would undo it.

Reactions: txen and cubodado

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
And there's one last place where this tiny button shows up, just different. Same tap target size and proximity to the edge: The way to turn the watch off completely. PRess the side button, you'll see the options for Medical ID, Compass backtrack and emergency call... where's the power button?

View attachment 2271290
this particular change happened in watch OS 9. I agree it's more difficult to find and operate the power button than what they had previously.

I tap on a workout swipe to the right and water drop icon is missing? WTF!
What? How do we turn on water lock during a workout?

Very much disagree with you here. The thing I most disliked about swipe-to-change was accidental activation. The new method is much better.
How often did the accidental side-swipe happen? A few times a day? A few times a week? A few times a month? I've had it happen a few times over the entire time I've had the watch, and I've had it ever since the original one.

Reactions: Pirate!

rcarter3636

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
this particular change happened in watch OS 9. I agree it's more difficult to find and operate the power button than what they had previously.

What? How do we turn on water lock during a workout?

How often did the accidental side-swipe happen? A few times a day? A few times a week? A few times a month? I've had it happen a few times over the entire time I've had the watch, and I've had it ever since the original one.

Quick tap on power button so it brings up control panel.
Do this after starting the workout. You’ll see the water drop. Highlight it and that will bring you back to your workout.

Reactions: Night Spring

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
There are so many thinks I really dislike in this new update. If I could I would directly go back to WatchOS 9.

• Switching watchfaces is horrible
  • The acitivity app with tthe rings is completly garbage now. You cannot quickly scroll through the metrics but need to stop at every position. Reminds me at one of the last instagram updates where every scroll would stick to the next psot. The found out quickly this was a bad idea (Are you listining Apple?) Furthermore the awards tab is very bad organized. You need to go down furth into the rabbit hole to see anything usefull. This was so quick an conviniant prior to WatchOS 10
  • Why did Apple remove totals steps and total stairs in week overview? WHY?
  • Control center on the physical button is a mess. I use it so often throughout the day that a swipe gesture is way more conviniant than tapping a physical button. At least let the user decide which behavior they prefer.
  • Quitting workouts reminds me of good old windows times. Do you really want to quit the workout? Yes. Really? Maybe you want to consider your choice? AHHHHHHHH
  • I really miss the Dock because I could quickly launch my favorite app
  • The old app view was way better. You could move in all directions and after a short time you knew where the apps were you want to start. In the new view you need to scroll to the bottom (worst case) to open the app you want to start.
  • Maybe I didn't find the option but why is there no way to customize the smart stack? E.g. I don't need the calender in there, but would want to include other information.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
On the last point the Smart Stack is customisable. If you press for a while on a widget you can add new ones with a plus, pin a widget to have it on top or delete it on the minus on the top left of the widget if it is not pinned, if it is pinned you have to unpin it first. Didn’t find an efficient way to sort them apart from pinning.

You can’t choose a different SmartStack according to watch face.

Reactions: cookiemonster89

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Swipe for control centre functionality is still there, it works the way it always has for voice over users. I’ve no idea if the swipe up then quick finger double tap gesture will work without vo being enable, as I haven’t tried it, but the ability is still there, it hasn’t been entirely removed, just restricted, so they could enable it again easily if they wanted I imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.