Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarylarry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
I use Stopwatch daily to keep track of short tasks. It's an inextricable part of my productivity workflow. WatchOS 10 is giving me Stopwatch woes.

I strongly dislike the all-white background in watchOS 10, but that's not what's giving me the biggest headache.

Since I switched to the new OS, it seems that the stopwatch timer does not update at all when the watch is in the dimmed state (wrist down). In previous versions, the seconds would disappear, but the minutes would stay up to date. For my use, this was all I needed at a glance most of the time, so it was perfect.

In watchOS 10, the count *stops altogether* when the watch is in the dimmed state. So I run into situations where I glance down at my wrist and see "03:--:--" then lift my wrist and it's something like "06:37:52." This is confusing, and is making the app unusable for my purposes. It's insult to injury that when I *do* wake my watch, I get the blaring, distracting white background.

To reiterate, this isn't a complaint about the seconds and milliseconds going away in the dimmed state. That's how it always worked, and I understand the reason for it. But the minutes/hours count should stay current, the same way the time does on the clock app. Is this a bug? Are other people experiencing it?

Last edited:

nnc

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2023
I just tested this, and it works for me - the minutes are updating as they should with my wrist down / black background. Watch Series 8 with OS 10.0.1.

scarylarry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
I just tested this, and it works for me - the minutes are updating as they should with my wrist down / black background. Watch Series 8 with OS 10.0.1.
Interesting! Still broken for me (series 7, OS 10.0.1). Bizarre. I guess I’ll try restarting the watch.

scarylarry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
So I’m embarrassed. Restarting the watch fixed the problem. Stopwatch is behaving normally again. Always post on a forum before turning off and turning on again, right?

• Haha
Reactions: FreakinEurekan

scarylarry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2019
Update: the bug is back--Stopwatch gets out of sync when the screen is dimmed. I restarted my watch again, and this time restarting didn't fix the issue. The good news, I guess, is that it probably *is* a bug and not an incomprehensible intentional choice. Here's hoping that the next update fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.