Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like to be able to swipe left and right to switch watch faces?

• Yes. I like the way it was in WatchOS 9 and earlier (swipe left and right for watch faces).

Votes: 244 66.8%
  • No. I like the way it is in WatchOS 10 (swiping left and right has no function)

Votes: 80 21.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 41 11.2%

• Total voters

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
In WatchOS 9 and earlier you were able to swipe left and right to select from your different watch faces.
In WatchOS 10 that feature has been removed and swiping left and right does nothing.
Let's see what everyone thinks about this change.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I don't like it. I change faces often... workout stats, weather, music, can't fit it all on one screen. I just got a "new" AW 7 coming from a 6 and I thought it was something with the 7's... was about to go back to a 6. At least I know I don't have a defective watch, just defective software.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Dang that’s a bummer to hear, there just isn’t enough space on one watch face for me to not need /want to swipe between them often.

Reactions: snash22

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm a big fan of the change in OS10. I don't know how I was doing it, but I was one of those folks that used to accidentally change watch faces on a regular basis. That problem is now gone for me in OS10.
I think this should be an option. People who like the left-right swipe should be able to keep it, people who find themselves accidentally changing faces should be able to turn swiping off.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I think this should be an option. People who like the left-right swipe should be able to keep it, people who find themselves accidentally changing faces should be able to turn swiping off.
While I rarely change watch faces and this will not impact me, I agree that we should be able to toggle certain features on/off.

Some of the iPhone UI features came to mind but I’m going off topic

G35flyer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Absolutely needs to be an option as this has been available since WatchOS 1. Apple has not replaced the left-right swipe with any gesture yet....just add a on/off toggle like AOD and many others.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I often like to wipe my screen, to get rid of dust and smudges.

A lot of the time, it changes faces, which pisses me off.

How hard is it to press down on the screen for a moment, to enter screen switching mode?
We are all creatures of habit, if a certain functionality, that has been working for years, changes, and apparently for no good reason, people get upset and that is understandable.
This particular change, for me has no implication as I typically never change my watch face, but I can appreciate that others are, hence my request to Apple, give us more toggles for UI features, can’t be that hard

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
We are all creatures of habit, if a certain functionality, that has been working for years, changes, and apparently for no good reason, people get upset and that is understandable.
This particular change, for me has no implication as I typically never change my watch face, but I can appreciate that others are, hence my request to Apple, give us more toggles for UI features, can’t be that hard
From what I’ve read, there are more important issues with watchOS 10 that need addressing first.

Reactions: acraniotes

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Couldn't agree more. I just read that Apple is moving the iPhone's hang up button in iOS 17, also for no apparent reason. I anticipate plenty of frustration as my finger's muscle memory automatically presses where the button used to be.

Reactions: jz0309

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

How hard is it to press down on the screen for a moment, to enter screen switching mode?
It slows you down a lot. Imagine if every time you had to switch from one app window to another on a Mac, you had to press down on a mouse button for a moment, then lift your finger and click again, instead of just clicking and the window switches immediately. That's what it would be like. I don't switch faces to change my watch's look, I'm switching faces so I can access other functions. You wouldn't accept any delay in doing that on a Mac, would you?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
It slows you down a lot. Imagine if every time you had to switch from one app window to another on a Mac, you had to press down on a mouse button for a moment, then lift your finger and click again, instead of just clicking and the window switches immediately. That's what it would be like. I don't switch faces to change my watch's look, I'm switching faces so I can access other functions. You wouldn't accept any delay in doing that on a Mac, would you?
Each to their own.

I prefer the new way, but bet they’ll change it back.

What do you think of the new control centre trigger? I think it’s better.

Reactions: rmw49

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I don't have the beta. Haven't heard anything about the control center trigger. How does it work?

The control center is now opened using the side button. They have eliminated the app dock that the button used to open.

Personally I don’t like this new change. I don’t use control center as much as the app dock.

There is another thread with a poll about this change.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Ugh. I find pressing buttons take longer than swiping on the screen. It's not a big deal, as I don't use the control center often, but it's not a change I like.

Just curious, why does pushing the button work better for you?
I just think it’s easier (I’m not on the beta, by the way.)

And you can access it wherever you are in the OS.

Why don’t you like it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I just think it’s easier (I’m not on the beta, by the way.)

And you can access it wherever you are in the OS.

Why don’t you like it?
Being able to access the control center from within an app does sound useful. I'll have to wait and see how I feel about it if/when I get watch os 10.

As for pressing buttons vs swiping screen, I just find swiping screen easier to do than pushing buttons. Thinking about it now, I think swiping doesn't require me to target my finger position so much. I just need to find the edge of the screen, which is a much bigger area than the buttons, and swipe. Whereas the buttons are a smaller target, and I have to think a bit to find them.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

I agree. It’s not that hard.

But it’s like having a toilet flush handle that’s starting to degrade and you have to hold it down for a few seconds to flush. It’s only a couple of extra seconds but very annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.