Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Let me preface this with a disclaimer: I had updated my Apple Watch Sport to WatchOS 2 GM before it went public (and before that "breaking bug" was found by Apple).

I had checked my Apple Watch for updates yesterday and noticed WatchOS 2 officially launched. I placed it on the charger, updated overnight and went to work the next day (TODAY)

Usually, the watch lasts my whole work day. Today I was not so lucky...

By 10AM, it's usually at 98-99% Today it was 90%. Weird
By 12PM, it's usually at 90-95% Today it was 50%. A bit troubling.
By 1:20PM, it's usually at 80-85%. Today it was 10%?!

I was perplexed. I NEVER had this bad battery life using the WatchOS 2 GM, or even with 1.0.1. Yet when I updated to the official release, the next day during minor use, battery life dropped LIKE A ROCK.

WTF happened here? I at least have AppleCare for my watch.

We'll see tomorrow when I go back to work, same conditions, to see if it's not a fluke.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Let me preface this with a disclaimer: I had updated my Apple Watch Sport to WatchOS 2 GM before it went public (and before that "breaking bug" was found by Apple).

I had checked my Apple Watch for updates yesterday and noticed WatchOS 2 officially launched. I placed it on the charger, updated overnight and went to work the next day (TODAY)

Usually, the watch lasts my whole work day. Today I was not so lucky...

By 10AM, it's usually at 98-99% Today it was 90%. Weird
By 12PM, it's usually at 90-95% Today it was 50%. A bit troubling.
By 1:20PM, it's usually at 80-85%. Today it was 10%?!

I was perplexed. I NEVER had this bad battery life using the WatchOS 2 GM, or even with 1.0.1. Yet when I updated to the official release, the next day during minor use, battery life dropped LIKE A ROCK.

WTF happened here? I at least have AppleCare for my watch.

We'll see tomorrow when I go back to work, same conditions, to see if it's not a fluke.

Try unpairing/repairing?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Give it some time.
Mine has seen big improvement for battery life. It just used 5% over 2.5 hrs giving it nearly 2-day battery at this rate. I understand that the power draining rate may change during the day, but this is at least a 20-30% improvement over the past battery life is OS1.

rfbandit

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Try unpairing/repairing?

That's what I did, and now my battery life is back to normal. Been off the charger for over 7 hours and I'm at 76%. Yesterday, I was in power reserve after 4 hours off the charger.

Thepixelsedge

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Ya as others are saying un-pair/re-pair... I had the exact problem you're describing but it was back on the same GM version you're talking about. Ever since i re-paired, the battery life has been the best I've seen in 4 months of ownership.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I have the same issue. I typically could push 3 days with no charge, but by the time I got home from work it was completely dead (first time EVER) after a full charge last night. Will try unpair/repair when it gets off time out in the other room.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had troubles installing yesterday too... the download took about 50 minutes or so, then it got stuck at "verifying" for over an hour.
I closed the Apple Watch app, and opened it again, then it proceeded to tell me I was uptodate on WatchOS 1.01.
Clicked away and back on Software update I again had option to Download and Install.
It went much quicker this time, (as it didn't need to download), verifying passed after a few minutes (again, much quicker!) and then it installed correctly to the watch (which again took some time).

Not as smooth as I was expecting/hoping.

Try unpairing/repairing?

Yep, same battery problem this morning, Unpairing/paring seemed to fix the problem.

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Unpair/Repair worked for me as well.

Before: 6% Drain per hour = 17hr life
After: 2% Drain per hour = 50hr life

Watch is also more responsive now, less UI lag.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Unpair/Repair worked for me as well, instead of 10% at 1:20 PM, I was at 76 at 3:00. Guess the issue is now fixed. Thanks for the many people who suggested it.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.