Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hi! Having 7.0.3 installed I have no way to install 7.1 as it needs 2.6Gb of space which is less than left on Series 3 without any significant space consumed by apps (see screenshot)

Is there any solution?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4348.PNG
    IMG_4348.PNG
    878.5 KB · Views: 678

cmaus

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Germany
Has been a known issue in Apple‘s Developer Release Notes.
Actually embarrassing that this is still affecting the release versions.

Apple‘s own workaround:
Reset your Watch, restore your backup, update it to 7.1.

deivydas

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
Hi! Having 7.0.3 installed I have no way to install 7.1 as it needs 2.6Gb of space which is less than left on Series 3 without any significant space consumed by apps (see screenshot)

Is there any solution?

Thanks!
Same here. I have Series 3 (SS, 16GB storage), I've even made restore - still impossible to update to 7.1

Like for real, Apple is making me sick already with Watch updates, there were only few times when watch was updated without any issues or errors, almost always something is wrong: "no internet connection", "7 hours remaining" and so on.

Reactions: cygnusjen and tgara

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I get that warning on occasion (as I did yesterday), yet when I do the update via the iPhone, there is no issue.

Looks like when the watch tries to do the update on its own, it simply hasn't the room to download and then install over top of existing software, while the process over the phone downloads to that, and then transfers to and overwrites the watch what is required.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Same issue here. I even delete all my faces and I still don’t have the required space. Very stupid bug. Apple really drop the ball here.

Reactions: cygnusjen

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
It is possible, but it really helps if you have an older Series 3 that has Cellular/LTE as those models came with 16GB storage as opposed to the current Series 3 that comes with only 8GB storage.

Definitely a bummer though.

Reactions: wlossw

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I had the same problem...needed 2.6GB free and the most I could get to was 2.4GB free after a couple of forced restarts. Why 2.6GB space is needed to install 366MB update is beyond me. I would think Apple could do a better job optimizing the update process.

Ultimately, I decided to take advantage of the sale at Amazon (and Target) and bought an SE ($259 GPS or $309 Cellular). I liked my S3 and it did everything I needed, but I have to say, the new SE with it's noticeably larger display works much faster and smoother. Plus with the savings I was able to try out the cellular version now that Spotify has their own app that works independently on the AW so I (hopefully) won't need my iPhone when do my walk activity every day!

Reactions: tgara

wilee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
From my screenshot above it looks more like 4Gb on GPS S3, not 8.. and half of it is eaten by system

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I had the same problem...needed 2.6GB free and the most I could get to was 2.4GB free after a couple of forced restarts. Why 2.6GB space is needed to install 366MB update is beyond me. I would think Apple could do a better job optimizing the update process.

Ultimately, I decided to take advantage of the sale at Amazon (and Target) and bought an SE ($259 GPS or $309 Cellular). I liked my S3 and it did everything I needed, but I have to say, the new SE with it's noticeably larger display works much faster and smoother. Plus with the savings I was able to try out the cellular version now that Spotify has their own app that works independently on the AW so I (hopefully) won't need my iPhone when do my walk activity every day!
Thanks for mentioning the bargains. I was having the same software updating issues with my S3 (gym and knockaround/gardening watch), first on 7.0 and again on 7.1, so I just got a new GPS SE to replace it. I was thinking about doing this anyway, so your timing was good (no pun intended!)

Nasuto

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2020
I came from watchOS 6.2.9 The update requested 3.1Gb. I had 2.4 or something. I had only few apps installed on the watch. No music and pictures. Deleted all third party apps, Apple Store and Keynote. Did a few soft reset (pushing the Home and Side buttons together for a short while) and finally I had about 3.0Gb. Left the watch on charger overnight, and by the morning I had 7.1 installed on my S3 GPS. ?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
From my screenshot above it looks more like 4Gb on GPS S3, not 8.. and half of it is eaten by system
That is crazy. It's too bad because the S3 did everything I needed but not being able to keep it up to date I think will be the final straw for the S3. That, or just not update it but then at some point I'd think it'd stop working with an updated iPhone?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It makes me sad to see how badly the Series 3 aged when it comes to software updates. I love my Series 3 watch, but I have a feeling it won't end up getting watchOS 8 after this, given how it handled watchOS 7.

To the OP, your options seem to be, completely reset the watch to install the update (I've done that a few times) or wait for 7.0.1 in hopes that it doesn't require so much storage to install.

vgk80

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I had 0 additional apps and 0 additional watch faces, still the AW said free space of 2.1GB. Ended up resetting and re-pairing the watch which updated it to 7.1

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
It makes me sad to see how badly the Series 3 aged when it comes to software updates. I love my Series 3 watch, but I have a feeling it won't end up getting watchOS 8 after this, given how it handled watchOS 7.

To the OP, your options seem to be, completely reset the watch to install the update (I've done that a few times) or wait for 7.0.1 in hopes that it doesn't require so much storage to install.
I still think Series 3 will get watchOS 8. Here's why...

The Series 3 is still a current model and is still expected to be sold right up until Series 7 launch in September 2021.

Now imagine a customer bought a Series 3 from Apple on the day that watchOS 8 becomes available, also in September 2021 (which is entirely feasible). BUT that new customer cannot update their new Apple Watch to the newest firmware, watchOS 8. That wouldn't be a great experience for that new customer.

I don't think I've seen a time where Apple are still selling a product brand new (not refurb) that can't update to the latest firmware.

Now, if watchOS 8 does come to the Series 3 then I expect the new features that Series 3 gets will be minimal.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I still think Series 3 will get watchOS 8. Here's why...

The Series 3 is still a current model and is still expected to be sold right up until Series 7 launch in September 2021.

Now imagine a customer bought a Series 3 from Apple on the day that watchOS 8 becomes available, also in September 2021 (which is entirely feasible). BUT that new customer cannot update their new Apple Watch to the newest firmware, watchOS 8. That wouldn't be a great experience for that new customer.

I don't think I've seen a time where Apple are still selling a product brand new (not refurb) that can't update to the latest firmware.

Now, if watchOS 8 does come to the Series 3 then I expect the new features that Series 3 gets will be minimal.
I have said this previously. Is the S3 limited right now? Sure, but it is still a very capable watch compared to alternatives. I don’t see Apple not updating it if it is still being sold in 2021 (which it seems it will be).

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I have said this previously. Is the S3 limited right now? Sure, but it is still a very capable watch compared to alternatives. I don’t see Apple not updating it if it is still being sold in 2021 (which it seems it will be).

It’s possible that the S3 will continue to be sold, but my guess is that sometime next year Apple will drop the S3 and allow the SE fill the low cost option.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
It’s possible that the S3 will continue to be sold, but my guess is that sometime next year Apple will drop the S3 and allow the SE fill the low cost option.

Right, I’m guessing May or March of 2021 it will be removed from the store and doomed to circulate the Woot store front.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
Just when I was finally going to bring back my Apple Watch Series 3 I run into a "day remaining" update... so uh, guess I'll stick to my Garmin. from now on. So yeah... this kinda sucks.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
Actually I was able to resurrect the watch after about 5 hours or so...

IT’S ALIVE

Attachments

• 6BE22AB4-360A-44CF-8213-552824429EBF.jpeg
    6BE22AB4-360A-44CF-8213-552824429EBF.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
7.2 is out and its the same BS. Need 2,7GB and even if I delete all the things on my watch, I can't install the update.

Reactions: cygnusjen

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
7.2 is out and its the same BS. Need 2,7GB and even if I delete all the things on my watch, I can't install the update.
Initially, I got the same error on my S3 (which was a bit of a surprise because I wasn’t aware 7.2 was coming out !).
However, I just tried updating direct from within the watch (normally I initiate from my phone app) and everything downloaded and installed without a problem !

Reactions: freemyheart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.