Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefcrewboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Hi! Did I miss something, or is watchOS 9 incompatible with the Watch SE? Almost a day later and mine still thinks it's up-to-date with watchOS 8.7...

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
as stated in https://www.apple.com/uk/watchos/watchos-9/ website, maybe hard- or softwareversion of Your iPhone might cause this.
The Website says:
Code:
watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or
later and one of the following Apple Watch models:
Apple Watch Series 4
Apple Watch Series 5
Apple Watch SE
Apple Watch Series 6
Apple Watch Series 7
Apple Watch Series 8
Apple Watch Ultra

Reactions: chiefcrewboss

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hi! Did I miss something, or is watchOS 9 incompatible with the Watch SE? Almost a day later and mine still thinks it's up-to-date with watchOS 8.7...
If I’m not mistaken you have to update to iOS 16 in order to get watchOS 9. For watchOS 8 you had to have iOS 15. I remember trying it with iOS 14 and it would not show an update.

The question is is your iPhone compatible with iOS 16. Check to see if there’s an update available for it

Reactions: throAU

chiefcrewboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
If I’m not mistaken you have to update to iOS 16 in order to get watchOS 9. For watchOS 8 you had to have iOS 15. I remember trying it with iOS 14 and it would not show an update.

The question is is your iPhone compatible with iOS 16. Check to see if there’s an update available for it
Yeah, I'm running iOS 16 on my iPhone 12 as of this morning (5hrs ago). I'm flummoxed!

• Wow
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yeah, I'm running iOS 16 on my iPhone 12 as of this morning (5hrs ago). I'm flummoxed!
The only thing I can think of is restart your phone and watch.

Maybe it’s not available in your region? I think it’s out everywhere but you never know with Apple. That’s so weird

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I was just getting on to ask if I needed to update my phone first.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I was just getting on to ask if I needed to update my phone first.
It was like this on the last version of watchOS. I can’t confirm this now because both of my watches are being sent off for battery replacement. I checked one and the battery said service needed or something like that so I checked the other and the same thing. I figured might as well get them both fixed at the same time.

chiefcrewboss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
The only thing I can think of is restart your phone and watch.

Maybe it’s not available in your region? I think it’s out everywhere but you never know with Apple. That’s so weird
In UK. Should have been available at the same time as iOS 16. Restarted both devices. Nada. I've been having a great time with my Apple devices recently! I think Apple Support have blacklisted me now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.