Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Watch_man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
I have a iPhone 5s on iOS version 12.4.3. I just got a Apple watch series 3 (GPS only). When ever i try to pair, it says my Phone is out of date, but i cant update from iTunes or OTA. I have no idea what what watch OS my watch is on. What can I do? Can I setup without a phone? Is there a Hack I can do? Thanks a ton!
-Joshua

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
the watch most likely is running on WatchOS 6, which requires iOS 13 or later to pair. There is no way to get around that.

And iPhone 5s is not supported by iOS 13, iOS 12.4.3 is the most current version it could get.

I think you’re out of luck here. Maybe it’s time to get a new phone that supports iOS 13. The cheapest options would be iPhone SE and iPhone 6s.

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
You can call Apple to downgrade your AW3 to watch os 5. they will do it for free.
Had the same problem and Apple fixed it this way.

Watch_man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
[QUOTE="Lubidubi, post: 2817I] I went to apple(the store) but they said it isn't possible can it be done over the air> i can have it setup and able to tell time, but its on my friends account.

Lubidubi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Maybe the guy in the store didn’t know that it‘s possible.

I called Apple Care and explained the situation. He said, that they are aware of this problem and that the solution is to send the watch in. He set up a free repair to pick up my watch. Two weeks later I got my watch back on the latest watch os 5.
did this with my aw3 and an aw4 I bought second hand for my iphone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.