Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbirnbaum7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2019
Can anyone explain what this new OS feature is, what it means, and how it works? For example, it provides split information when I’m on a bike ride and for walks, but not when I’m using the elliptical or ‘other’ workout.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
A split is defined by a fixed time or distance, e.g. each kilometer.
For indoor workouts you can also define splits, mostly by time. If you do not define them, your entire workout is "one split".
Additionally, you can create manual splits by double tapping on your screen while doing a workout.
Purpose? You can use these splits to do analysis after the workout.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
For anyone training for a certain time or goal running, the splits/km's/miles are a great tool. For how long can I keep xyz tempo? When do I fall off and are slower? What's my average? I want to finish a marathon at xyz time, what pace per km do I need? Etc etc.

This is by far the most used metric by me and probably a lot of runners.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
For anyone training for a certain time or goal running, the splits/km's/miles are a great tool. For how long can I keep xyz tempo? When do I fall off and are slower? What's my average? I want to finish a marathon at xyz time, what pace per km do I need? Etc etc.

This is by far the most used metric by me and probably a lot of runners.

Thanks I wondered for what I can use it. Makes sense

Reactions: doolar

dbirnbaum7

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2019
Responses are appreciated. The odd part is I never set or defned any splits for any of my workouts; the magically started showing up just for certain workouts as I described after upgrading to OS9.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Responses are appreciated. The odd part is I never set or defned any splits for any of my workouts; the magically started showing up just for certain workouts as I described after upgrading to OS9.
Same here. I don't want them, but have not found a way to disable them.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Same here. I don't want them, but have not found a way to disable them.

Try this: open the workout app on your watch. Then go to your desired workout and select "...". There you should see different workout types, e.g. "open". Pressing the pencil icon should bring up options for the workout type. One of the options is "alerts" (or whatever it is called in English language). You then select "none".

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
A split is defined by a fixed time or distance, e.g. each kilometer.
For indoor workouts you can also define splits, mostly by time. If you do not define them, your entire workout is "one split".
Additionally, you can create manual splits by double tapping on your screen while doing a workout.
Purpose? You can use these splits to do analysis after the workout.
Doesn’t double-tapping the screen create new segments? I was confused when the new metric screens appeared and it looks like splits are automatic while segments are manual.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Doesn’t double-tapping the screen create new segments? I was confused when the new metric screens appeared and it looks like splits are automatic while segments are manual.

Yes, but it depends if you are doing an open workout or a custom interval workout.
I find it a little bit confusing and the naming is not consistent.

So far I have seen:

laps -> automatically created, e.g. each every 1km
intervals -> automatically created in custom workouts. E.g. a workout with "warmup, 5x(fast, slow), "cooldown") would create 12 intervals
segments -> manually created by double tapping if not in a custom workout

By importing workouts to HealthFit I have seen all three in the same workout. To make it more confusing: Apple Training created segments automatically by a non recognizable pattern.

So where do "splits" fit in? No idea.
To increase confusion, different tools use different names for the same things.

Reactions: blackNBUK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.