Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
I have a 12 pro max. I rinse the phone off now and then. I noticed water coming from the 5G cutout below the power button. Not even the SIM card tray has this seepage. If you tap the phone to your hand more comes out. I’m not talking a lot but a few drops is too much since it’s supposed to be a sealed area. Nothing behind the display but since it’s just the battery in that area I suspect a tiny amount isn’t actually doing anything.

Anyone else?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Sounds like you shouldn't rinse your phone off anymore.. If it hasn't caused damage yet it eventually will get to something that is vital..

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
I don’t think that’s out of line when it’s water resistant to near 20 feet below… plus it’s not a power washer it’s under a gentle sink. I washed my S8 active on the regular for 3 years.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I don’t think that’s out of line when it’s water resistant to near 20 feet below… plus it’s not a power washer it’s under a gentle sink. I washed my S8 active on the regular for 3 years.
Even if the phone was rated water resistant. I still would not ever put my phone near water at all. I still wouldn’t risk it. Overtime those gaskets do wear out and loses it’s integrity and if that ever happens, there goes your phone. All I need is just a microfiber cloth and I just wet the cloth. Not the phone itself.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don’t think that’s out of line when it’s water resistant to near 20 feet below

It “MIGHT BE” water resistant to 20 ft. Big difference.
Or replace “might” with “should” but one word Apple refuses to honor is “IS”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.