Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I got water damage on my 7+

• yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • no

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • my device was never exposed to water (previous answers were after exposure)

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
so I was wondering if anyone got issues with a 7+ after water exposure
over youtube it seems that the 7, 8 and 8+ are more water resistant
what are your experiences?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
not unwrapped it yet
if it is susceptibel though I will exchange the device

The iPhones are only water resistant. Some have claimed they submerged the phone with no problems where other say they got a few sprinkles on their phone and it quit working. There is no telling.

It is still susceptible to water damage as it is NOT waterproof.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

On a sidenote, water resistance Is merely an added layer of protection. Every phone will vary depending on the circumstances and what it's been exposed to. Apple tends to be conservative with their iPhones and water resistance, but YouTube is not always real world indicative of what would be likely.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
The iPhones are only water resistant. Some have claimed they submerged the phone with no problems where other say they got a few sprinkles on their phone and it quit working. There is no telling.

It is still susceptible to water damage as it is NOT waterproof.
hmmm better get an ip68 so

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Samsung and other makers don't cover water damage either, IP68 or not. Even a Rolex Sea-Dweller DeepSea which is rated to 3,900 meters(12,800 ft) is still considered water resistant not water proof..

Nibiruthehufky

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
I have submerged my iPhone 7 Plus in water. So has my girlfriend. No damage whatsoever. Watch the water videos on YouTube from everythingapplepro

Reactions: jerry16

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Launch day of the iPhone 7, some dude got his, plugged the charger in and dropped it in a full fish tank. Last time I looked at the YouTube live video it was going strong at 5 hours in.

Reactions: Nibiruthehufky

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

Make sure SIM card tray is inside the phone when you are cleaning phone with damp cloth etc.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I have submerged my iPhone 7 Plus in water. So has my girlfriend. No damage whatsoever. Watch the water videos on YouTube from everythingapplepro
problem is one tester complained his 7+ got condens in the camera. He claimed the 8+ would be superior as far as water resistance is concerned?
[doublepost=1509654978][/doublepost]
Launch day of the iPhone 7, some dude got his, plugged the charger in and dropped it in a full fish tank. Last time I looked at the YouTube live video it was going strong at 5 hours in.
I seldom saw an iPhone 7 prone to water damage. It seems the 7+ is more vulnerable?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
problem is one tester complained his 7+ got condens in the camera. He claimed the 8+ would be superior as far as water resistance is concerned?
[doublepost=1509654978][/doublepost]
I seldom saw an iPhone 7 prone to water damage. It seems the 7+ is more vulnerable?

Keep it away from water. No reason to submerge you device. If the sensor show moisture, it is yours......

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I actually had an iPhone 7 Plus in my pocket at the beach and was walking along the water. My shorts got drenched by the waves as I walked along shore with the phone in them. Later that day, the phone would no longer charge but worked fine. The next day, the phone started charging again but two days later it stopped working completely and shut off mid-battery cycle. I have used this same phone in the past to answer calls or check the time in the shower without issue, but this time just walking along the beach ruined it. I did have AppleCare+ and got the phone replaced, they confirmed it was water damage. I got the generic lecture from Apple Genius Bar that the phone is not water proof, but water resistant.. so it's still suceptible to water damage if I take it in such areas.

Reactions: fred98tj

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
I actually had an iPhone 7 Plus in my pocket at the beach and was walking along the water. My shorts got drenched by the waves as I walked along shore with the phone in them. Later that day, the phone would no longer charge but worked fine. The next day, the phone started charging again but two days later it stopped working completely and shut off mid-battery cycle. I have used this same phone in the past to answer calls or check the time in the shower without issue, but this time just walking along the beach ruined it. I did have AppleCare+ and got the phone replaced, they confirmed it was water damage. I got the generic lecture from Apple Genius Bar that the phone is not water proof, but water resistant.. so it's still suceptible to water damage if I take it in such areas.

And certainly not certified for salt water period.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
wow
guess sony's got an edge on waterproof phones
wonder if the 8 is as vulnerable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.