Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
An update.

(TL;DR I traded the old phone for max value of $160 and bought a new one.)

On Saturday, I took the phone in to get it replaced and found the price would be $299 rather than $399. However, they didn't have them in stock and asked if I'd like to look at trade-in value despite me telling him about water damage. I said why not, and so I got handed off to sales. I told them about the water damage and the rep could see the issue with the screen, but after running diagnostics and taking pictures of the device, their trade in tool tells them the phone is worth $160 (full trade-in value). I double-check with them if that can change later and they said no. So I went ahead with a trade in and new phone purchase since the new phone was available. This was going to cost $20 more than the full device replacement. I'd have preferred to save that money, but it would have required waiting for up to 2 weeks.

The sales guy told me I was getting an SE4 :rolleyes: by buying new which was obviously wrong but I didn't try to correct him as I was just too tired and wanted to get done with the whole thing. Even with an appointment I had to wait well past the appointment time to see the genius, and then there was additional handoff time from genius to sales.

But after trading in, I ran into an issue with the data transfer. First, it needs to be done from iCloud and cannot be done phone-to-phone, and my last backup was from the night. Also their WiFi wasn't working right and so they couldn't get it even that done. The store manager suggested undoing the trade and going home and doing the transfer phone-to-phone to make sure I wasn't going to lose any data. So I did that.

Sunday, I took the old phone in, and once again they went through the process of diagnosis/pictures/etc. and offered me the trade-in value of $160.

I wanted to buy a red leather case this time around but they didn't have leather cases in store and even online I don't see the red one in stock.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.